Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

I actually prefer the newer version a lot more,... video screens on facades is not architecture to start with and swirly patterned plazas will look dated really quickly!! good job on the clean up

Yeah... good point, but i just find that the plaza is not as artistic anymore and not as people friendly. It has more of an office tower tone now rather than an entertainment...

The tower itself has always been nice!

I actually prefer the newer version a lot more,... video screens on facades is not architecture to start with and swirly patterned plazas will look dated really quickly!! good job on the clean up

Agreed... But only because it's Yonge and Sheppard.

However, I wish the shape of new One Bloor will incorporate a small plaza like Hullmark will, WITH VIDEO SCREENS! Because it's more downtowny and that area needs it. Major intersections should have a more open feel to them in my opinion... Like some of the squares/circles in New York or London.

Agreed... But only because it's Yonge and Sheppard.

However, I wish the shape of new One Bloor will incorporate a small plaza like Hullmark will, WITH VIDEO SCREENS! .

Yeah i know!... the original design of 1BE incorporated a podium covered with tv screens... I HOPE great gulf homes considers adding a plaza + tv's for their project!

Old 1BE:

1_bloor_condo.jpg

I actually really like video screens for advertisement and what not, it makes the area feel important...important enough to waste money on advertisement i guess haha

Re: Video Screens

Solaris, this was not a case of cheapening the product. It is my understanding that Tridel made changes to the podium and removed the screens due to pressures that arose through the public consultation and planning process.

That's disappointing. I prefer the old version with the screens. The new one just looks so plain, and not as grand as it felt with the advertising.

Even Sans Video Screens, my point was... I like the open area at the base of Hullmark and I feel it should be mandated on all major intersections. I find Toronto's streets are narrow enough... They should open up when you get to an intersection.

Although most forumers on these sites seem to be fans of podia (yes, that's the plural of podium), I feel we are overdoing it with larger and larger podia. My biggest fear would be a street corner like Yonge and Sheppard or Bloor and Yonge, with four podia the size of Maple Leaf Square!

Personally, I'm thankful for the "Towers in the Park" of the TD Centre at King and Bay. I'm not advocating this for every building (A proper sized podium has its place) just for the major intersections. After a the hustle and bustle of a busy street canyon, you need to step into an intersection and breathe, look around, appreciate the city view and then proceed to your destination.

That's just how I would like my city to be.

:)

Do we really need more advertising bombarding us every day? I'm glad the screens are gone. And If I want breaking news, I'll look it up on my phone.

Do we really need more advertising bombarding us every day? I'm glad the screens are gone. And If I want breaking news, I'll look it up on my phone.

I'm not saying Video is good or bad but it is debatable bout the MORE aspect. If you look at street views along Yonge street between 1910 and 1950 there was WAAAAY more print advertising covering almost every flat surface of every building. We forget that the visual bombardment diminished for the later half of the 20th century. So we think this is the way it always was. But this is not a new phenomenon, just a resurgence and new media to do it with.

There are great threads like the "Then and Now" thread that has pictures from the Toronto Archives that demonstrate my point.

From "then and Now" thread page 155:

Yonge and Shuter 1912
Northeast_corner_of_Yonge_Street-1.jpg

Yonge and Bloor 1938
Yonge_south_from_Bloor_1938.jpg

Not sure where or when...?
11.jpg

Last edited:
I was chatting with Councillor Filion about this project a few weeks ago, and he said that the developers were pushing hard to have video screens on this project. He was very against video screens and his reason was "Yonge and sheppard is not yonge and dundas"

Back