Toronto Hullmark Centre | 167.94m | 45s | Tridel | Kirkor Architects

Ah...thanks. Had previously heard rumours about an urban Walmart (or Target?) opening there. We will definitely be well-stocked for grocery stores in this hood. Hopefully that means more competitive pricing.

Three large chain supermarket will NOT lower prices. Their prices are set by their head quarters and are basically the same in all their stores. The best way for these supermarkets to compete against each other is through their ready-made hot food. These are the food items most sought after by TTC using condo-dwellers on their way home - and as long as they're in your store they mind as well grab some basic grocery like bread, eggs and milk.

Along Yonge Street between Sheppard and Highway 401, there are 3 gas stations all on the west side:
- Shell at Yonge & Poyntz
- Esso at Yonge & Johnston/Florence
- Petro Canada at Yonge & Cameron
Does the clustering of these gas station give this area the lowest gas prices in Toronto? Of course not! The gas prices are set by their head quarters. Whereas gas prices tend to fluctuate more than the prices of grocery items, the timing of gas prices changes among these 3 gas stations basically happens minutes between each other - so its almost next to impossible to find different gas prices posted among these 3 gas stations.

Three large chain supermarket will NOT lower prices. Their prices are set by their head quarters and are basically the same in all their stores. The best way for these supermarkets to compete against each other is through their ready-made hot food. These are the food items most sought after by TTC using condo-dwellers on their way home - and as long as they're in your store they mind as well grab some basic grocery like bread, eggs and milk...

Well, I do think the increased proximity will encourage some type of consumer incentives. Loblaws at Empress has recently started stocking Blue Goose organic meats (pastured beef and chicken from BC). I think some other Loblaws stores have already had these products, but this is the first time I've seen them offered at Empress. There is an entire bin filled with the chicken. I'm guessing that they will try to attract some of the Whole Foods market, and are perhaps gauging demand. Even though WF isn't opening until likely Fall 2014, I'm sure Loblaws is concerned about it.

Well, I do think the increased proximity will encourage some type of consumer incentives. Loblaws at Empress has recently started stocking Blue Goose organic meats (pastured beef and chicken from BC). I think some other Loblaws stores have already had these products, but this is the first time I've seen them offered at Empress. There is an entire bin filled with the chicken. I'm guessing that they will try to attract some of the Whole Foods market, and are perhaps gauging demand. Even though WF isn't opening until likely Fall 2014, I'm sure Loblaws is concerned about it.

Oh absolutely they're going to compete locally. While there are guidelines set out from central offices, each store is able to stock unique products and absolutely has local prices.

They'd be insane not too. Just as NorthYorkEd pointed out, they have to be able to compete locally in order to defend against and take advantage of different situations and competitors.

So you're saying the Metro at Church & Doris which is near the EmpressWalk Loblaws and thus must be competitive will have lower prices than the Metro at Sheppard & Bathurst which is further away from any direct competitor??? Furthermore the Metro at Sheppard & Bathurst individually source all their non-standard Kosher and other ethnic food items???

This article on how Whole Food Market caters to local ethnic markets seems to indicate its their central office that decides on the ethnic food items sold at Whole Food Market's ethnic Asian aisle - not the individual stores. Which makes sense because there likely are other Whole Food Market stores that would also carry the same item (maybe in smaller quantities) and the chain would get economies of scale by ordering much larger quantities all at once instead of individual stores collectively ordering many smaller orders. The whole idea of a supermarket chain is to have central office order larger quantities from manufacturer-producers and get lower prices per item and then distribute themselves to individual stores. Thus, they pay lower per unit cost and also save by shipping themselves - plus, the chain also ensure the food items sold will meet their standards - could you imagine if local store manager picked out items that didn't meet Whole Food Market's strict all natural procurement process.
http://www.goodfoodrevolution.com/markham-local/

The EmpressWalk Loblaws tend to have a large selection of organic food items anyway. Its higher margin for them. EmpressWalk Loblaws stocking Blue Goose organic meats from BC would go against Whole Food Markets principle of sourcing locally.

EmpressWalk Loblaws competitive advantage against Whole Food Market is Loblaw's T&T division. Just walk around EmpressWalk Loblaws and look at its customer base. With the large Asian demographic in the area T&T items at Loblaws tend to be quite popular but EmpressWalk Loblaws need to figure out how to do onsite T&T bakery item instead of just having them shipped in from T&T warehouse - freshness is key! And also like a real T&T store, EmpressWalk Loblaws need to produce T&T ready-made hot-food item onsite too! Short of having a real brick and mortar T&T supermarket in the area - the EmpressWalk Loblaws with a large selection of T&T offering would be the next best choice.

I don't know how much you want to argue about this, but individual stores do compete on sale pricing and what they stock. I'm not talking about two next-door Metro's competing against each other, nor am I talking about a store manager at Loblaw going out and purchasing apples for his own store.

I'm talking about regional and local pricing and strategies tailored to each area, supported by central ordering (and obviously uniform food standards!).

There won't be a drive to the bottom on prices. Instead, they're going to jockey on product selection, weekly sales, promotions etc.

It will be interesting to see Whole Foods develop their strategy, as I'm not that familiar with their corporate supply chain management strategy. IMO, I think they've got a tough fight ahead of them. They've never been in such an intense competitive area before. Although, they'll probably do just fine.

-------------------------------------

Anyways, back to the thread. Anyone know if there will be other retail available at Hullmark? On the Anndale side for example? Other than a bank?

The Tridel Hullmark Centre Whole Food Market will have to serve the local demographic so it'll do a lot of the same thing as the Whole Food Market in Unionville that I referred to in the previous link. More Korean, Persian & Chinese items in ethnic aisle. Problem is it typically won't be ready made hot food items. And limited ethnic vegetables.

Also with high number of condos and singles in the area - ready made hot food items will be where they have to compete.

With Whole Food Markets expansion throughout GTA, they're getting into more competitive markets. New WFM at Bayview north of Eglinton will compete with Metro at that corner. New WFM at Bathurst & Front will compete with Loblaws at Queen & Portland.

Seems to be only one level of retail at Tridel Hullmark Centre. Besides WFM, there'll be RBC and Rexall. Interestingly 69 bike parking spaces for residents and 70 commercial bike parking spaces with showers. Annedale end will only have condo entrance and TTC subway entrance - if it ever opens!

Last edited:
EmpressWalk Loblaws stocking Blue Goose organic meats from BC would go against Whole Food Markets principle of sourcing locally.

I've been shopping at WF since I arrived, just over a year or so ago, at the Square One or Unionville locations. Their 100% grass-fed beef (fresh) is always imported from the US (I asked). They do have some frozen chicken and beef products from Beretta, based in King City, but from what I've seen, most of their meats are not sourced from local producers. Maybe that will change, or maybe there are just supply and delivery limitations.

Taken today:
They can build this thing as tall as they want as far as I'm concerned :p

12215023176_f632cf3648_z.jpg

From the Yorkdale parking lot:
12214441775_416ee664ee_z.jpg

12214461365_cfc16e3623_c.jpg

12215077776_8cf559bc82_c.jpg

Back