Toronto Hudson Toronto Hotel | 45.72m | 14s | Niche | a—A

Larger rendering from the architectural plans document via the link above:

BgRfA35.png

Docs are up:

Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the redevelopment of the site with a 14-storey hotel building having a height of 45.7 metres, including the mechanical penthouse. The proposal includes 146 hotel rooms, 11 parking spaces and a restaurant located within the penthouse level. The zoning amendment application is under appeal to the LPAT.

I don't care if it's an improvement, or even if it's a nice building. Where is the heritage preservation? It is such bullcrap that beautiful buildings from 1880 and 1904 would just be demolished because somebody is too lazy to design around them. Era should be ashamed of their "heritage impact statement".

Just FYI this is going to City Council in December with a recommendation to designate the properties. I wrote to Councillor Cressy and the Mayor to encourage them to adopt this item and seek to maintain the properties in situ.

I don't care if it's an improvement, or even if it's a nice building. Where is the heritage preservation? It is such bullcrap that beautiful buildings from 1880 and 1904 would just be demolished because somebody is too lazy to design around them. Era should be ashamed of their "heritage impact statement".

How could you even incorporate or “design around” the existing building when the lot is relatively small as it is? It would look ridiculous.

Were they unable to purchase that last parcel?

Regardless, I think this newest proposal has a pleasing, warmer palette than the original proposal and deals with the ground level well (i.e. the canopy brings creates a more human-scaled space).

In my experience, these townhouse will have old growth, long beams running the length of the building than the usual width . It should be easy to separate the units without impacting the interior of the one staying. Some new sheathing and an EIF system will complete the exterior. It happens a fair bit in Toronto.

I'm saddened to see these heritage buildings go but, I'm also ecstatic parts of them aren't being retained compromising the new design as part of some feigned heritage perservation. The holdout in also a win.

How could you even incorporate or “design around” the existing building when the lot is relatively small as it is? It would look ridiculous.

Not every piece of land is a development parcel.

There are many examples in Toronto where heritage has been "weaponized", in Jane Pepino's words, to block development. In my humble opinion, this is one location where the existing buildings have obvious value and a growing policy framework to protect that value.

However the applicant may be standing on solid policy grounds with this proposal. See this excerpt from Michael McLelland's (ERA) HIA:

1576007306170.png

Peter Smith's (Bousfields) planning rationale repeats the same points: the midrise form was confirmed in a 2005 minor variance; and the 2017 first rezoning application predates any heritage listing or designation, including the HCD which remains under appeal.

There are a million options that are limited only by a narrow imagination. A smaller hotel, cantilevering, facade preservation (much as people may not like it), moving the buildings elsewhere, and using the building as part of the proposal easily come to mind.

Back