Toronto The High Park | 37.79m | 11s | North Drive | BDP Quadrangle

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...o-new-developments-eyed-for-bloor-street-west

A meeting to discuss two development projects along Bloor Street West across from High Park will take place next month.

North Drive Investments is proposing two redevelopment projects, a mixed-use building with a potential height of 12 storeys at 1990 Bloor St. W. and another mixed-use building at 2114 Bloor St. W. with a potential height of 10 storeys.

The pre-application community consultation meeting will take place at Humberside Collegiate Institute, 280 Quebec Ave., Thursday, March 8 at 7 to 8:30 p.m.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/l...ondo-plans-along-bloor-spark-ire-of-residents

Future condo plans along Bloor spark ire of residents

Developers accused of not considering esthetics of neighbourhood in proposed designs

LISA RAINFORD|Mar 09, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Some High Park-area residents are worried their concerns about two potential condominium buildings along Bloor Street West are falling on deaf ears, despite reassurances from the developer.
North Drive Investments is proposing two redevelopment projects, a 12-storey, mixed-use building at 1990 Bloor St. W. and a 10-storey mixed-use building at 2114 Bloor St. W.

"They're not going to change anything," she said in the auditorium at Humberside Collegiate Institute. "Can you please walk around the neighbourhood - can we build something that blends into the neighbourhood? Glass does not fit into the neighbourhood. There are nice buildings at (the) Old Mill (subway station) with brick, stone and archways. Do more research. You're not being respectful of the area."

Architect Brian Curtner of Quadrangle Architects Ltd. said the project is still in the design phase.

"We're still working on drawings - we welcome your thoughts and ideas," he said.

At 1990 Bloor St. W., the proposal includes tearing down the existing apartment building and nearby house and replacing it with a 12-storey mixed-use building comprised of retail and 131 replacement rental and condo units. There will be three levels of underground parking accessibly by a vehicle elevator.

The 2114 Bloor St. W. condo would be comprised of 110 units and would be similar in appearance, said Curtner.

The condo at 1990 Bloor St. W. would be built first followed by 2114 Bloor St. W. No specific timeline has been determined, said Curtner when asked when construction could start, although he estimated it would take place over an 18-month period.

Once an application is submitted, the developer will create a website dedicated to the project. Parkdale-High Park Councillor Sarah Doucette asked to provide the link on her website so her constituents could remain informed.

The designs for both buildings were perfectly fine. Heights can come down a couple of storeys and it would probably appease alot of the NIMBYS, but, if it doesn't, then it's fine in the neighborhood context. Materials aside, the proposal will add some nice midrise density on the subway lines and some new (hopefully useful) retail amenities.

On a side note, I don't think I can handle anymore of these meetings in the High Park/Bloor West area. The locals are pretty nasty. Lots of good points raised, but the shouting, the total contempt and highly biased attitudes towards all the parties involved just really get to me. Civic interaction should never stop, but I always come out of these meetings feeling depressed and irritated. Maybe I'm just too sensitive. In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how the projects can evolve and what the final applications will look like.

I was sitting at the meeting thinking to myself why are High Park residents so contentious? I grew up here with my parents and have seen change go on everywhere in the city. I think if we sat down and really thought things out instead of always having a backward attitude towards development we would see appropriate change. I was not vocal at the meeting, but did a search on the developer and found this thread. I know developers always try to ask for the world, but truly these guys are not. They didn't even have to show up and consult with us. Let's work with them instead of always being combative! Change happens so we might as well be active participants.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications

1990 BLOOR ST W
Site Plan Approval 12 144934 WET 13 SA Ward 13
- Etob. York Mar 28, 2012 Application Submitted Mar 29, 2012 --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- Carvalino, Philip
416-394-8233
Proposed development of a 12 storey mixed use building (residential gfa = 9 854 m2; at grade commercial gfa = 359 m2). The building would accommodate 131 residential apartment units, including 24 replacement rental units. Filed concurrently with OZ file No. 12 144955.
1990 BLOOR ST W
OPA / Rezoning 12 144955 WET 13 OZ Ward 13
- Etob. York Mar 28, 2012 Application Submitted Mar 29, 2012 Mixed Use - Residential / Non-Residential 359 9,854 10,213 131 1,198 --- --- Carvalino, Philip
416-394-8233
Proposed amendment to Zoning By-law 438-86 to permit the development of a 12 storey mixed use building (residential gfa = 9 854 m2; at grade commercial gfa = 359 m2). The building would accommodate 131 residential apartment units, including 24 replacement rental units.

Thanks for the link. Here's a preliminary rendering from that page:

420267_340449819334605_339587879420799_956535_664257280_n.jpg

Some people are really blind regarding the benefits of increased density to their communities. This stuff is so good for their local retailers.

Last edited:
Saving Bloor West does not mean stopping development. The subway is there for a reason and we can handle some increased density in the area. 60 storey skyscrapers will not be turning up in the neighborhood so people's over reaction to what is going on truly surprises me. I am not looking for over-development either, but I personally want to see some development and people moving in who will be using our transit system to its fullest and adding to our community. The neighborhood can handle this. The "sky is not falling" people.

The images on northdrive.ca do look much better. I love the wood detail and articulation!

Looks like RAW meets Quadrangle (did Richard Witt do this)?

The reports refer to an avenue study and shade/sun study that was submitted. Does anyone know how we see a copy of that sudy?

Back