Toronto Haven On The Bluffs Condos | 38.71m | 10s | VHL Developments | Master Building

...they needed clashing shoes to complete that clown suit. /sigh

A co-working concept called Merged Spaces by LCH Developments will be operating in the first 2 floors of the base here:

Nearby is the two-storey Merge Spaces (which isn’t affiliated with IWG’s Spaces co-working brand) at 2229 Kingston Rd.

It offers a variety of amenities and workspaces, including private offices, a presentation and events space, collaborative work stations, meeting rooms, dedicated desks, sound-proof phone booths, a games/lounge room and a fully stocked café offering free coffee, tea and snacks.

Merge Spaces is programmed with bi-weekly networking events, informational fireside chats, fitness experiences and DJs playing music at no cost to members.

“If we can compound our involvement in a specific area, the value of all of those developments is going to increase,” said Michal. “While we’re providing much-needed housing and great condo product on Kingston Road, what was missing was a really high-end office where people can work and play.”

Michal believes Merge Spaces will benefit local retailers and could be a great overall catalyst for the area.

“If we’re successful with Merge Spaces as our first co-working project, we can work it into the design of our next projects in areas where we think it could be successful,” he said. “It would be a lot more efficient from a costing perspective and fill in the commercial component of our sites with an existing business that will be immediately successful.”

LCH is based in Merge Spaces and occupies about 20 per cent of its office space at the moment, with the ability to expand or contract as needed.

I was really disappointed when they redid the base because it seemed like a cheap version of Manulife. But, I've been by it several times in the past few weeks and it's not just working, it's working well. While it's nothing special aesthetically, functionally it feels good as a streetscape. You can feel a connection to the inside from the street and there's some variety inside that makes it interesting night and day. Manulife still feels like a bunker despite all the added glass but the Haven streetscape feels alive. Not how I expected to feel about it.

I took a stroll to see if I'd reconsider my opinion.

haven-01.jpg

One section on the east end is still unfinished.

haven-02.jpg

The western section is almost done.

haven-03.jpg

It's not attractive at all, but it still feels like a comfortable streetscape to me, especially for a building that faces six lanes of traffic. It helps that the facade is unbroken. It's a good example of how, if you're going to cheap out, it's better to do less than add a bunch of junky detail. Merge is also pretty good at street level. Someday it should be a good walk when the area fills in.

haven-04.jpg

haven-05.jpg

I took a stroll to see if I'd reconsider my opinion.

One section on the east end is still unfinished.

The western section is almost done.

It's not attractive at all, but it still feels like a comfortable streetscape to me, especially for a building that faces six lanes of traffic. It helps that the facade is unbroken. It's a good example of how, if you're going to cheap out, it's better to do less than add a bunch of junky detail. Merge is also pretty good at street level. Someday it should be a good walk when the area fills in.
The eastern unit housed a food bank that has since moved to the plaza to the east. I don't recall when that happened.

The central portion was redone shortly after completion to accommodate the shared work space. I find the new facade to be more junky, but certainly not saying I prefer the original.

The eastern unit housed a food bank that has since moved to the plaza to the east. I don't recall when that happened.

The central portion was redone shortly after completion to accommodate the shared work space. I find the new facade to be more junky, but certainly not saying I prefer the original.
Cliffside Pharmacy is due to move into Haven on the Bluffs this year

Anyone know if Merge spaces, Merge Condos and Haven on the Bluffs are all under one company?
Merge Condos + Merge Spaces (and the other 2 retail spaces in Haven on the Bluffs) are owned by LCH Developments. The actual Haven on the Bluffs Building was developed by VHL Developments.

Back