Toronto IMMIX | 131.06m | 38s | QuadReal | a—A

Once again, as per my surmising: given its difficult and visually disembodied positioning and all, in the event of redevelopment, what's the likelihood of the tower being dismounted and reerected elsewhere, perhaps upon a new substructure or as a freestanding "folly"? Sorta like the fate of the Sam's sign, perhaps...

Developers re getting good at moving heritage buildings (karma, cinem tower, the mansion on sherbourne...) maybe the firehall will be moved and restored. That would be the best outcome if you ask me...

All the arguments over the last page fell a little short till I got to this one. Lots of things over 100 years have a history, but the clock tower looks like something that should be moved elsewhere. Maybe even re-construct it in a podium lobby on the same site. It would get far more attention there with a plaque next to it.

Gluing it onto the front of a new building will look as absurd as all our other silly attempts at the same thing.

The rationale for saving the clock tower has much to do with its function as a geographic marker, so I'm not sure it's as simple as relocating it. If the tower were to be moved (and it would make an interesting and relevant centrepiece for the new Wellesley Park) I think something should still be done on the existing site to mark the historical context. Either incorporating an abstract form of the tower into the new building's base, or doing something with the public art to make a statement would work for me.

And both presumably slated for designation under KWT's Yonge St HCD proposal.

update on the proposal description, not sure if its been posted or not:

The rezoning application proposes to redevelop the site and build a new mixed-use 45-storey (153 metre including mechanical penthouse) residential building including a 3-storey commercial ground shaped around the clock tower. There are a total of 423 residential units proposed and 4 levels of below grade parking with 131 spaces. Access to the site is proposed from St. Luke Lane. The site currently contains 2 to 3-storey mixed use buildings with retail uses and residential rental units above. The proposed 423 residential units include 26 rental replacement units.

It is...ish. The fire hall site was built out to meet the street when it was redeveloped years later. Elements of the old fire hall do still remain but the structure has indeed been largely bastardized.

I don't know if this has been posted or pointed out yet, but it appears that the current two story building the tower is on is not the original fire hall #3.

Photo from Toronto Archives:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.com/webcat/systems/toronto.arch/resource/fo1231/f1231_it0366a.jpg

Thanks! Never seen it it like this before - the tire store look interesting in its' own right.

It is...ish. The fire hall site was built out to meet the street when it was redeveloped years later. Elements of the old fire hall do still remain but the structure has indeed been largely bastardized.

Wonder how much of the original structure is left.

AoD

Last edited:
A very unsatisfying proposal, particularly in terms of how the tower relates to the rest of the project (which is unremarkable in and on itself)

AoD

Oh great, another Quadrangle building. Looks a bit uninspiring...like they just placed a glass box that is just shy of the clock tower.

No, not a very attractive building. They should hire a real Architect.

480 Yonge.png

Attachments

• 480 Yonge.png
    480 Yonge.png
    322.5 KB · Views: 966

Back