Toronto Grid Condos | 157.88m | 50s | CentreCourt | IBI Group

80 parking spots for visitors? What about parking for people who live there? They want to have over 500 bike spaces? That's a lot! Are they going to attempt to build a 47 storey building without any parking for residents?

This will be aimed squarely at Ryerson students. The huge success of The Academy near UTSC, Centrecourt's own Core Condos, and Great Gulf's Pace has them confident the same can happen on this site. Dundas Square Gardens is also going after that market, but the amenities there are practically OTT and I can see this one being more restrained in that regard to keep prices lower.

I would so much prefer to see official residences built by the school than private stuff marketed as condos where regular folk are forced to live with parents of students renting out the units. Living with students in the same building is a certain kind of hell.

This type of tower certainly wouldn't be for everybody. If Ryerson had the resources to build all of the residences required, then these buildings would not be being put forth by the development industry. As there is a housing shortage for Ryerson students, this provides another option for people to consider, and I have no doubt that the building will sell well, and those suites which are eventually put on the rental market will not likely have trouble finding people to fill them.

Oh great. I was hoping that this would be a standard condo building, not another private student-residence-in-all-but-name.
At least the Ryerson project adjacent will be owned by Ryerson as offical student housing.

I now live in the neighbourhood, so I plan to go to any meetings.

Not sure it is the appropriate thread for this, but yesterday I was eating at the Ethiopian restaurants (227 Church) at Dundas/Church and the owner of the restaurant told me that the property along with the few lowrise buildings on the south including the parking lot (all with the same owners, 5 lawyers actually) have been sold to a developer. The developer wants to build a condo but intends to include those restaurants in the proposal, with a promise to pay 50% of the renovation cost to bring them up to date.

With Pace, Dundas Sq Gardens, 175 Dundas E and this Dundas East at least west of George st will likely look very different in the next decade.

Not sure it is the appropriate thread for this, but yesterday I was eating at the Ethiopian restaurants (227 Church) at Dundas/Church and the owner of the restaurant told me that the property along with the few lowrise buildings on the south including the parking lot (all with the same owners, 5 lawyers actually) have been sold to a developer. The developer wants to build a condo but intends to include those restaurants in the proposal, with a promise to pay 50% of the renovation cost to bring them up to date.

With Pace, Dundas Sq Gardens, 175 Dundas E and this Dundas East at least west of George st will likely look very different in the next decade.
OMG! This is like a dream for me. I have to walk past this dreck all the time as I live just down the street. Depending on the developer, this could be amazing!

I was driving by this weekend and noticed that a development proposal sign is up... a quick google search reveals a close up of it here: http://thetorontoblog.com/2014/09/03/47-storey-condo-proposed-for-dundas-jarvis/ (I can't be bothered to figure out the rules for posting images here...)

It will be interesting to see all of these towers built at this corner and changes to this stretch of Dundas.

Illustration-of-condo-tower-proposed-for-175-191-Dundas-St-E-Toronto.jpg

Attachments

• Illustration-of-condo-tower-proposed-for-175-191-Dundas-St-E-Toronto.jpg
    Illustration-of-condo-tower-proposed-for-175-191-Dundas-St-E-Toronto.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,698
Once these condos are constructed, pedestrian and cyclist traffic is going to increase, much of it destined for the RU campus. Jarvis is a wide and busy street: in a Mr Rogers sort of world everyone would cross at intersections, but have you been on a campus? I see plenty of group-dynamic non-linear walking patterns.

The Jarvis EA of yesteryear addressed pedestrian safety and enjoyment with a forward view of promoting non-car uses. Due to the centre lane political mess, the positive elements were ignored, but I think some form of planning activity around the pedestrian and cyclist realm should be approached anew. Is anyone aware of any activity?

175-191 Dundas St E & 235 Jarvis St (?, 47s, ?)

Looks like the southeast corner of Dundas and Jarvis will be redeveloped along with Pace (underway, SW corner) and Dundas Square Gardens (proposed, NE corner). Right now there's a Tim Horton's, a Thai Restaurant (on Jarvis) and four storefronts on Dundas.

With Ryerson's housing tower on Jarvis proposed, as well as 75 Mutual now, this is going to be a crazy part of town for new construction.

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4901.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4899.jpg
    IMG_4899.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,650
  • IMG_4901.jpg
    IMG_4901.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,679
Im pretty sure the Tim Hortons will have first dibs on moving back into its original location, otherwise they have Pace Condos retail space to switch over too.

Should the rendering be whats built, Im loving the look of this building. It reminds me of tetris; a twist on the basic tall box condos that toronto seems to suffer from.

Back