Toronto Grand Hotel Redevelopment | 153.95m | 49s | Amexon | Core Architects

20150407-Grand-Render.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/city/2015/04/grand_hotel_to_be_subsumed_by_45_storey_condo/

This shows why they are not happy with the Timmy's redevelopment. They both can't co-exist while still having separation distances. Will be an interesting OMB fight. The Grand application feels a bit more defensive... pushed (rushed?) because of their neighbour's plans.

during the meeting they were discussing a two tower development, which is now one tower... so certainly possible.

I don't like the design at all. What's with the weird notched corner on the roof?! Yuck, back to the drawing board!

I don't like the design at all. What's with the weird notched corner on the roof?! Yuck, back to the drawing board!

Glorified mechanical louvers?

At first I thought it was an AA placeholder design -- it looks like a cut and paste of at least 5 different AA condo buildings clumsily pieced together.

Only 12.5m separation between the towers as currently proposed.

Actually, 17.5m between the towers. There's a 5m setback proposed on the 175 Dundas site from their property line. If they were proposing a 12.5 metre setback, then the City would have its 25 metre separation.

from the above plan it shows pretty clearly that the 175 Dundas proposal is grossly over-scale for the size of its site ... a south setback of only 5m for a 47 storey tower ... really ??

I wouldn't say that 175 is 'grossly over-scale' for its site. It's tight, yes, but to me the issue is more the immense, required 25m tower-to-tower setback.

As a Urban Planning professional I'm not adverse to the 47 storey height proposed by 175 Dundas ... but the fact that 175 Dundas site has a lot area of 1,191 sq.m., a tower footprint of 750 sq.m., proposed south setback of 5.0m and east setback of 3.0m (abutting 3 storey buildings?) ... if these 4 things do not illustrate a proposal that is 'grossly over-scale' I don't know what is :(

Solaris: That is largely in keeping with the city's plan for the property. It was the city's intent that the corner feature a tower. That being said, it is smallest lot to feature a tower that tall in the area.

As a Urban Planning professional I'm not adverse to the 47 storey height proposed by 175 Dundas ... but the fact that 175 Dundas site has a lot area of 1,191 sq.m., a tower footprint of 750 sq.m., proposed south setback of 5.0m and east setback of 3.0m (abutting 3 storey buildings?) ... if these 4 things do not illustrate a proposal that is 'grossly over-scale' I don't know what is :(

The OMB site is updated with a decision. Looks like the Grid building needs to be 12.5 meters from the south property line so that the two towers are 25m apart. The decision indicates a tower floorplate of 507 sq. metres. Also mentions that a section 37 agreement needs to be finalized.

The OMB site is updated with a decision. Looks like the Grid building needs to be 12.5 meters from the south property line so that the two towers are 25m apart. The decision indicates a tower floorplate of 507 sq. metres. Also mentions that a section 37 agreement needs to be finalized.
When I look at the OMB site the case is still open..

Property Address Data Information Case Description Status Case Number
175-191 Dundas Street East and 235 Jarvis Street 47-storey mixed-use building Open PL141461

It's only open pending these two items being dealt with:
[89] At the request of Amexon, this order is withheld pending receipt of a modified proposal from the Applicant that incorporates a 12.5 m setback from the south property line.

[90] At the request of DRI, this order is also withheld until advised that a s. 37 Agreement has been executed and registered.​
Once those conditions have been satisfied, the case will be closed.

Back