News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

Toronto Grace Hospital @ 650 Church St. (2 year renovation)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Renos for this hospital are supposed to begin next year and will take approx. 2 years. As well as new windows and interior renos, the Church St. entrance will be opened up again. Patients and workers will be moved to Hillcrest Hospital during the renos. There are no plans to sell the parking lot to the north on the corner of Bloor & Church. Apparently the property was bequeathed to the hospital so there may be limitations on what can be done with that lot.

Last edited:
Renos for this hospital are supposed to begin next year and will take approx. 2 years. As well as new windows and interior renos, the Church St. entrance will be opened up again. Patients and workers will be moved to Hillcrest Hospital during the renos. There are no plans to sell the parking lot to the north on the corner of Bloor & Church. Apparently the property was bequeathed to the hospital so there may be limitations on what can be done with that lot.

They may not be able to sell the parking lot but they surely could do a bit of landscaping and general tidying up. It's an eyesore!

Agreed, it's one butt ugly corner parking lot that could simply use concrete planters around the perimeter, a whack of perennials and a company to tend to weeds and garbage in it once every week or two.

Renos to the Grace Hospital are scheduled to start in the fall. The existing staff and patients will move to Hillcrest Hospital at Bathurst & Davenport for about 2 years.I've been told the Salvation Army would like to sever the property at Bloor & Church so the north section could be developed but right now there is too much opposition. They also own the 2 properties on Hayden pictured below, the parking lot and the house with the travel agency, so don't expect them to be developed anytime soon either.

gracej4.jpg

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 188230 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jun 14, 2013

Project: Hospital Multiple Projects

Description: Proposal for multiple projects to an existing hospital/health centre. Scope of work includes extensive interior alterations, repair of brickwork, window replacement and replacement of rooftop mechanical units. "Toronto Grace Health Centre" Convenience address 650 Church St. See also 12 198644 ZPR.

Renos to the Grace Hospital are scheduled to start in the fall. The existing staff and patients will move to Hillcrest Hospital at Bathurst & Davenport for about 2 years.I've been told the Salvation Army would like to sever the property at Bloor & Church so the north section could be developed but right now there is too much opposition. They also own the 2 properties on Hayden pictured below, the parking lot and the house with the travel agency, so don't expect them to be developed anytime soon either.[/CENTER]

Opposition by whom?

Opposition by whom?

Toronto Grace is/was a publicly funded facility (operated by the Salvation Army).

I would be irked to see a windfall to that agency (for purposes undetermined) when there are pressing public needs. That is not a slag on the Sally Ann, btw, I would express the same if I though a large public site was being treated as a cash cow by the City while failing to meet important public needs.

I hasten to add I think renovating the Grace is an awful waste of money for a dated facility which in its current configuration makes no sense.

There is a pressing need for more long-term care in Toronto; the wait lists are reaching 2 years + for basic accommodation in 'ordinary' long-term care homes.

4+ years for high-demand facilities.

While Bloor/Church wouldn't be my first site choice; there really aren't that many large-scale sights left near the core, that are readily accessible by transit.

One day, there will be, in areas like the Portlands; but for now, given that the site is contiguous to Toronto Grace and the Hayden properties, it seems like a pretty good fit.

A 500-bed facility + palliative care could easily occupy 20 or more floors, plus retail, and maybe medical research combined on-site, could make it larger still.

If it is sold for condos/offices, it would make more sense the level the Grace, consolidate the site for max. value; and take the proceeds to build a new long-term care and palliative site elsewhere in the downtown.

There was discussion at one point, of one of the late phases of Regent Park containing a long-term care site; and that could be an alternative, as could any some the less than 'best and highest' use land at the periphery of the West Don Lands.

Considering the fact that I was born there, I'm surprised there isn't at least a plaque, if not a small shrine built in my honour.

This is what the site looked like yesterday evening. Slowly but surely I suppose…

DSC00429.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00429.jpg
    DSC00429.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 1,166

Back