Toronto Gourmet City Commercial Condominium | 13.5m | 1s | H&H Capital Group | Szeto Architect

artyboy123

Member Bio
Reaction score
Taken from DevApp:

"construct retail plaza"

DevApp Link: http://app.toronto.ca/AIC/index.do?folderRsn=e4G7+wn5NXRZAle+74042w==

Rendering taken from the online brochure:

GOURMET-CITY-BROCHURE-6.jpg

GOURMET-CITY-BROCHURE-27.jpg

Note to @Art Tsai ; always grateful for the contribution, but can't not signal my displeasure at such an awful proposal!

Site as is:

1675207692370.png

What's across Kennedy from it:

1675207733772.png

1/2 a block north:

1675207775379.png

Looking at the above: No! Send it back.

I get it. That side of Kennedy is zoned commercial, originally intended as employment lands/industry.

But it was never intended as a retail plaza.

If we have an acute shortage of warehouse space (and we do); then I could understand retaining zoning here to support that.

But if we're moving away from supporting light/heavy industry here, let's go mixed use, and mid-rise (or higher) and let's put the retail on Kennedy itself, not tucked in and served by parking. Ugh!

I take issue with the 3rd gen Scirocco depicted in the renders, a car that was never sold here, though I sure wish they were.

That aside, I agree this is not the best proposal. Does Markham really need another 1 storey strip mall for food? Definitely seems like this belongs in the base of a higher density residential building as you've suggested.

Back