Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It’s legit, in that the train handling needs to be well understood and all crews need to understand the do’s and don’ts before they run a loaded train over the route.
For example, certain throttle and brake settings may prove necessary - or undesirable - at certain points. Also, the signal spacing is different - there is now a block signal around Davenport Ave, but no signals approaching or at the Junction. So the engineer on southbound trains in particular may have to think out their speeds and train control differently. With the engine on the north end, slack action on the descent may need special care. While we think of the guideway as a bridge with ramps at both ends, the north end is at the siuth end of a grade up to Eglinton, so the line is more hill and dale than one might assume.
This can be predicted and simulated to a degree, but nothing beats first hand experience. So I would expect the tests to lead to training and operating instructions and as noted even tutoring by a pilot when crews make their first runs over the guideway.
As I stated earlier, what may or may not be bogus is the suggestion that these requirements have suddenly emerged. One would expect that a robust testing and training plan was prepared originally. It would be telling if somebody suddenly rethought that plan.
I can buy the reality that if a work window is missed, we may have to wait until a new window exists in the overall work plan. ML can’t shift everything in its plan by a week or two….just like once you miss your freeway exit, it may be many miles to the next one.

- Paul
Do you know if Metrolinx uses simulators? I recall being at a trade show many moons ago and CP had a booth with a type of simulator that the public could play with. It came to mind when you mentioned 'hill and dale' as I remember the virtual challenges of power and brake for a long freight on the Mactier sub.

Programming in the new profile would certainly help familiarity; although not likely completely replacing hands-on experience before revenue service.

Do you know if Metrolinx uses simulators?

Metrolinx says they do, but I don't know the inner details. There are various levels of locomotive simulator out there, from very basic to the full-scale ones that are similar to airline cockpit simulators, right down to the rumble and throb of the diesel and the simulated motion of the engine and draft forces.

- Paul

Metrolinx says they do, but I don't know the inner details. There are various levels of locomotive simulator out there, from very basic to the full-scale ones that are similar to airline cockpit simulators, right down to the rumble and throb of the diesel and the simulated motion of the engine and draft forces.

- Paul
Metrolinx uses simulators for training, I took spin at it once when I got a tour of the yard. It’s full sized but nothing like VIA’s for their new equipment.

From link.

What’s happening this weekend?

There will be a closure this weekend on the Barrie line, with associated transit impacts to allow for continued work and testing on the guideway and to prepare for test trains on the guideway on Monday.

As part of the Davenport Diamond Guideway project, GO train service on the Barrie line will be adjusted on Saturday, April 1 and Sunday, April 2. Trains will only run between Allandale Waterfront GO and Downsview Park GO during this service adjustment.

On Monday, April 3, rail service will be reduced to four morning rush hour trains and four evening rush hour trains operating between Allandale Waterfront GO to Downsview Park GO. Customers will need to transfer to TTC at Downsview Park GO to continue to Union Station. GO Bus replacement will provide service in between rail hour, however they will not serve Downsview Park GO.
Passenger service is planned to commence along the guideway on Tuesday, April 4th.We will keep the community updated. For more information, please contact the Toronto West community engagement team at TorontoWest@metrolinx.com or call 416-202-6911.

Must be the rain forecast for this weekend.

Reactions: PL1
Just to confirm, when is the first revenue service train for the overpass using it?

If all goes as planned, there will be a test train(s) on Monday and they will be back on the regular schedule on Tuesday - the first southbound is out of Downsview Park at 06:12, arriving Union 0630.

- Paul

If all goes as planned, there will be a test train(s) on Monday and they will be back on the regular schedule on Tuesday - the first southbound is out of Downsview Park at 06:12, arriving Union 0630.

- Paul
Multiple test trains.

The reason for extending the closure through Monday is that Transit Safety has demanded an additional battery of tests that, to the best of my knowledge, have never been required before. Amongst others, they will be performing emergency braking tests and emergency egress tests on the grade separation.

This is also coinciding with the removal of the ground-level "temporary" track. While I don't foresee anything untoward happening, wouldn't it be amusing if some issue is found during the grade separation tests that precludes them from using the grade separation for an extended period of time, and yet the "temporary" track will then be removed?

Maybe "amusing" isn't the right term.....

Dan

Back