Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

That’s because it’s a single span. There will be a second, right beside it.

Ok. I assumed that because the rail corridor was originally sized in a way that suggested it was designed to accommodate three tracks, and because they were building the double tracked bridge elements at the west side of the corridor while maintaining an operating track on the east side of the corridor, that this bridge would have been designed to handle two tracks. My understanding was that the only part of the corridor unable to handle three tracks was at the north end where the east two bridge spans over Davenport could be used but not the west span because someone permitted 1800 Davenport to encroach on the space where the third track ran. So is there space in the east side of the corridor for both a track where the current one is running plus a bike path even further east? Are the roll plans still available somewhere?

Ok. I assumed that because the rail corridor was originally sized in a way that suggested it was designed to accommodate three tracks, and because they were building the double tracked bridge elements at the west side of the corridor while maintaining an operating track on the east side of the corridor, that this bridge would have been designed to handle two tracks. My understanding was that the only part of the corridor unable to handle three tracks was at the north end where the east two bridge spans over Davenport could be used but not the west span because someone permitted 1800 Davenport to encroach on the space where the third track ran. So is there space in the east side of the corridor for both a track where the current one is running plus a bike path even further east? Are the roll plans still available somewhere?

The corridor will mostly allow three tracks - the current (old) track has been shifted to the easternmost side, meaning in most places both of the two new tracks can be built beside it simultaneously. When the third track is removed, that third of the width becomes linear parkland.

But in places, once the first new track is built the old track will be removed and the second track added later. The new guideway will first go into service with only one usable track, at that point the old track will be removed and the second new track can be built end to end.

I don’t know about this particular location, but it appears it’s one spot where the second span may not be buillt until the old track is removed.

- Paul

I don't know if it is an optical illusion or not, but this seems like a tight fit for two tracks.
It's no illusion as there will only be one track there. Once the existing track is moved to the west side of the corridor and relayed on the new bridge, the existing bridge will be replaced with one just like this. Eventually, two tracks.

2BA2B904-F0DE-4DE7-8B62-A057FA948661.jpeg
7F8E01CD-C86D-4288-8FCF-25429B2E8D21.jpeg
3EA848B0-04D5-4D33-9D0C-0C77E6C9770A.jpeg

I keep seeing these picture updates and thinking I better get over there to see the construction or it'll be done before I know it.

The ramps at either end are still being worked on, but it looks like they are very close to start lifting the guideway sections at Wallace and shifting them northwards atop the existing portion. Don't miss that part!

- Paul

Looking at these pictures it's kind of hard to believe that an extremely active and busy heavy rail line ran through that area for so long without any kind of grade separation until now. With the residential density on Wallace and surrounding streets plus the hundreds of Ubisoft employees commuting there daily it's a miracle there haven't been any serious pedestrian related injuries (that I'm aware of at least).

Looking at these pictures it's kind of hard to believe that an extremely active and busy heavy rail line ran through that area for so long without any kind of grade separation until now. With the residential density on Wallace and surrounding streets plus the hundreds of Ubisoft employees commuting there daily it's a miracle there haven't been any serious pedestrian related injuries (that I'm aware of at least).

The line has been as well used by pedestrians as the rest of the central Toronto rail network. I don’t have any stats, but I’m sure there have been incidents.

Back in the early consultation phase of this project I attended an open house site meeting where, while a Ml rep was explaining the plan, a.guy pushed a shopping cart loaded with sound gear across the diamond. Looked like he was on his way to a DJ gig. It kind of made the point.

CP has had more of a security presence on its line in the past few years. I have never seen a GO Security patrol in the area, but certainly the fencing and walls are gradually being completed.

- Paul

Even the cops aren't immune to getting in the way of trains along here.

I know there have been other incidents, but with only GO trains and the occasional VIA these days, it's not like an epidemic or anything.

Shooting the site on Sunday, I noticed the rails sitting on the concrete foundation extend to the street to the north of the foundation on supports. More support going up on the columns to support the upper beam to move the girders into positions.

Back