Toronto GO Transit: Davenport Diamond Grade Separation | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^I wonder whether the existing sound wall running south from Wallace on the west side will remain. There’s a very narrow space between that wall and the new structure that doesn’t strike me as a good idea… the kind of space that would attract the wrong things…. hard to keep clear of dumped waste, people, etc.

- Paul

^I wonder whether the existing sound wall running south from Wallace on the west side will remain. There’s a very narrow space between that wall and the new structure that doesn’t strike me as a good idea… the kind of space that would attract the wrong things…. hard to keep clear of dumped waste, people, etc.

- Paul
It's not just a sound wall. It's also a retaining wall for the laneway behind those townhouses. It's significantly higher than the track grade. Would probably have to fill the gap rather than just remove wall.

I'm sure that when the 6am train goes by their bedroom windows their thought will be "the park under the underpass is so worth it".
So why do people live in these condos next to the Gardiner?
8544cff99c47dff761d32636783d9fed.jpg
From link.

8544cff99c47dff761d32636783d9fed.jpg
From link.
Because most people don't really have an issue with living next to highways. Urbanists always talk about how ungodly highways in cities are, but in general most of the population tend to be indifferent to them. At worst they're like "ooh a highway... oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "

Because most people don't really have an issue with living next to highways. Urbanists always talk about how ungodly highways in cities are, but in general most of the population tend to be indifferent to them. At worst they're like "ooh a highway... oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "
Hopefully the double and triple glazed windows would reduce the "noise" in both cases.

Hopefully the double and triple glazed windows would reduce the "noise" in both cases.
From my experience talking with people who live in these condos, you begin tuning the noise out fairly quickly after moving in. The only time they realize they can hear the highway in the worst case scenerio, is if someone comes over and brings it up.

Price and they were built knowing there was a freeway there so one would assume the windows were of decent sound blocking quality. I'm looking at the build of those residences near the Davenport Diamond and I would assume noise will get into those units more easily.

Price and they were built knowing there was a freeway there so one would assume the windows were of decent sound blocking quality. I'm looking at the build of those residences near the Davenport Diamond and I would assume noise will get into those units more easily.
Less so with the electric trains than the current diesel trains.

as someone who lives in the condos. though facing lakevshore. the noise isnt normally a problem it's just a constant "whooosh" execpt for the idiots who rev their engines and want to go 300kph with their loud engines.

The problem isnt the gardiner...it's the cars.

For the new condo's that have and are going up around the diamond - putting the tracks on a guideway is likely not increasing the sound levels over what they would be if the tracks remained at ground level, except maybe for the first and second floor units. It's the number of additional trains (electric or diesel) that will cause the impact. That's a given for the entire GO Expansion project - there will be more frequent noise along all the corridors. Nothing really different about Davenport in that. And if one buys in to transit oriented development, we will be building many more new units right next to all GO lines.

As for the lower level units, and the older houses in the area, the sound walls along the guideway and below will hopefully mitigate things somewhat.

Ringing the train bells for the new GO station will be a new irritant. Transport Canada has hinted that they are looking at that, but nothing concrete yet. How this is such a big thing to change when other countries don't even put bells on locomotives, I don't understand.

- Paul

I live right next to the Gardiner and GO line. The highway is basically imperceptible when inside, but it does make our balcony kind of pointless. The trains we hear, but it's honestly a non-issue, and frankly I like seeing them go by.

Maybe a building built along the Barrie GO line doesn't have the same level of sound proofing because the trains have run relatively infrequently up until now, but Im leaning towards it not being a big deal. I hope so, since I'm about to move to a new place right along this project.

For the new condo's that have and are going up around the diamond - putting the tracks on a guideway is likely not increasing the sound levels over what they would be if the tracks remained at ground level, except maybe for the first and second floor units. It's the number of additional trains (electric or diesel) that will cause the impact. That's a given for the entire GO Expansion project - there will be more frequent noise along all the corridors. Nothing really different about Davenport in that. And if one buys in to transit oriented development, we will be building many more new units right next to all GO lines.

As for the lower level units, and the older houses in the area, the sound walls along the guideway and below will hopefully mitigate things somewhat.

Ringing the train bells for the new GO station will be a new irritant. Transport Canada has hinted that they are looking at that, but nothing concrete yet. How this is such a big thing to change when other countries don't even put bells on locomotives, I don't understand.

- Paul
Platform doors for GO Trains? Nah. The powers-that-be would be more concerned about saving money than saving lives.

Platform doors for GO Trains? Nah. The powers-that-be would be more concerned about saving money than saving lives.
If that's something we did, we would be so far ahead from literally every regional rail system in the world.

The only regional rail system that I know of that has Platform Doors is TFL Rail in London - but that's only for the underground stations, and then I believe a few east asian cities have them. That's it.

Back