Mississauga GO Transit: Cooksville GO Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | WalterFedy

I wouldn't consider Metrolinx as short-sighted as you think they are. They're definitely not "wasting" money by building these lots and parkades. We saw earlier this year that they're thinking about charging for parking, and I would be pretty confident that this idea will only gain momentum down the road. Even if their rates are modest, it'll generate a lot of money, considering they have somewhere around 80,000 parking spots across all stations.

Transit-oriented development is unfortunately not practical just yet for a lot of these stations. For many, there's way more demand for parking than there would ever be for TOD. GO stations generally serve huge suburban areas and they'd essentially be shutting a large market out if they had no parking. Eventually it will happen though, it'll just take longer. Cooksville is in a good position for it to happen sooner since it'll be right next to the LRT, but the parkade is a practical step forward in the meantime.

Maybe in the future when the areas around stations are redeveloped with high density, each condo can set aside some parking spaces for GO.

Maybe in the future when the areas around stations are redeveloped with high density, each condo can set aside some parking spaces for GO.
TOD is plan for this whole block that includes the current retail. Some of the existing GO parking may go underground for the TOD, but the goal is to remove cars from this site and other over time with better transit to it.

Metrolinx was to build TOD along with a new parking structure for 8s For Port Credit GO Station, but the city and everyone opposed it including me. Parking needs to be underground as it will allow better use of land for TOD regardless it cost about $45,000 a spot. Mextrolinx was to start building the parking structure in 2017 or 19 as I forgot which year it was to be.

Metrolinx is supposed to have an RFI for Port Credit GO Station, TOD and parking structure with towers to be about 6s taller than plan, as will being the tallest for the area. No idea on the parking structure as to floors at this time. Some delay in this may had to due with the LRT since it wasn't in the plan on day one.

Last edited:
From link.

How Dundas & Hurontario Looked Back in the Day

They tore down all this for parking lots...

_main222.jpg

Cooksville became a hub of commercial activity in early Toronto Township (now the City of Mississauga), as it was centered on the intersection of two important early roads, Dundas Street and Hurontario Street (locally known as Centre Road).

The village of Cooksville was originally known as "Harrisville", named after its first settler Daniel Harris, who arrived in 1808. Jacob Cook arrived in 1819. By 1820 Cook was awarded a contract to carry mail between York and Niagara and was operating a stagecoach service throughout much of Upper Canada. He was awarded a tavern liscence in 1829, and promptly built an inn.

The village was renamed "Cooksville" in 1836. Over time the four corners of Cooksville were home to the Cooksville House Hotel (built 1852, demolished 1954), the Revere House (Ward's drugstore and general store, built circa 1830, demolished circa 1965) and the McClelland-Copeland General Store (built 1852, Cooksville's oldest surviving building).

cooksville_-_british_america_gas_station_and_relocated_general_store_se_corner_1936.jpg

Cooksville - British America Gas Station and relocated General Store, SE Corner 1936

cooksville_-_copeland_general_store_-_se_corner_and_intersection_1912.jpg

Cooksville - Copeland General Store - SE Corner and intersection, 1912

cooksville_-_copeland-mcclelland_store_looking_south_along_hurontario_street_c1900_0.jpg

Cooksville - Copeland-McClelland Store, looking south along Hurontario Street, c1900

cooksville_-_dundas_looking_west_c1950_0.jpg

Cooksville - Dundas Looking West, c1950

cooksville_-_dundas_street_looking_east_intersection_of_5_and_10_c1900.jpg

Cooksville - Dundas Street, looking east, intersection of 5 and 10, c1900

cooksville_-_dundas_street_looking_west_cooksville_house_and_revere_house_1913_0.jpg

Cooksville - Dundas Street, looking west, Cooksville House and Revere House, 1913

cooksville_-_four_corners_c1940.jpg

Cooksville - Four Corners, c1940

cooksville_-_four_corners_dundas_street_looking_east_c1910.jpg

Cooksville - Four Corners, Dundas Street looking east, c1910

cooksville_-_nw_corner_revere_house_hotel_-_wards_drugstore_c1930.jpg

Cooksville - NW Corner, Revere House Hotel - Ward’s Drugstore, c1930

cooksville_house_hotel_-_ne_corner_-_c1910.jpg

Cooksville House Hotel - NE Corner - c1910

Drum, what about Oakville GO? Any plan to redevelop that area? So much wasted and underused space at that location.

Drum, what about Oakville GO? Any plan to redevelop that area? So much wasted and underused space at that location.
The last I every heard about Oakville was the plan to shift everything east of Trafalgar Rd to allow the redevelopment of the whole existing area. I thought that was dumb since you could have both both in the same area. Now, this was in the days when GO/Metrolinx prefer to have cars showing up at stations and transit taking the back seat.

Burlington is a good example how not to do it right to the point Burlington Transit took over a year or so to move back to the south side. Part of that was Burlington wanting transit in one location regardless the impact of riders not wanting to go to the GO station in the first place as well longer trip rides.

Watching those towers go up saying the new GO Station was a waste of space. Could never under stand why they didn't built a south platform when building the station like RR used to do. Milton, Lisgar and Dixie come close to an RR station.

Last edited:
Kind of a shame there were no plans to add dedicated bike parking (covered, with good security). I mean, if you could build a massive garage like that, perhaps it makes sense to make it more appealing to bike as well, and it would cost a lot less per user while taking less space per user.

Can't understand how they also don't charge for parking, particularly where lots fill up. I know when I am driving, I am happy to pay for parking when it means I will get a spot and don't miss a train because you spent 10-15 minutes searching.

Kind of a shame there were no plans to add dedicated bike parking (covered, with good security). I mean, if you could build a massive garage like that, perhaps it makes sense to make it more appealing to bike as well, and it would cost a lot less per user while taking less space per user.

Can't understand how they also don't charge for parking, particularly where lots fill up. I know when I am driving, I am happy to pay for parking when it means I will get a spot and don't miss a train because you spent 10-15 minutes searching.
You are talking logic and that is something Metrolinx nor Transit systems understand. They don't understand that people do bike to/from stations, but provide cheep protections if any at all.

When we were in Las Vegas, Orlando and a few other places for the downtown terminals, they not only have inside storage protection, but also a bike repair shop. The repair shop also sold various equipment for bikes, but bike themselves.

As for paid parking, long over due, but paying a high price for those reserve spots. Lots of reserve spots at Cooksville.

Was blown away at seeing parking structures for bikes only when I did my Europe trip. Netherlands was the worse for see store bikes at train stations.
8133806497_e0f8a48170_b.jpg

Last edited:
You are talking logic and that is something Metrolinx nor Transit systems understand. They don't understand that people do bike to/from stations, but provide cheep protections if any at all.

When we were in Las Vegas, Orlando and a few other places for the downtown terminals, they not only have inside storage protection, but also a bike repair shop. The repair shop also sold various equipment for bikes, but bike themselves.

As for paid parking, long over due, but paying a high price for those reserve spots. Lots of reserve spots at Cooksville.

Was blown away at seeing parking structures for bikes only when I did my Europe trip. Netherlands was the worse for see store bikes at train stations.
8133806497_e0f8a48170_b.jpg

Slowly the bicycle parking is being put into garages, in the Netherlands...

Dated Aug 9, 2019

Dated Jul 1, 2020

A Cadillac bike parking facility in Utrecht cost EUR30M for 12,500 spots, or about CAD$3500 per bike. You could make a very good facility for more like $1000/bike. Compare to CAD$128M for the Cooksville improvements, including 1900 spots in the new garage. Or, on the order of $50k+ per car. So unless park and ride customers are covering the cost of parking (~$20-$40 per working day amortizing over 5-10 years, putting no value on operating cost or the land), we really should be rolling out the red carpet for cyclists, even if we are going to the extreme of these kinds of high end parking facilities with heating (and showers, security, bike repair). A $20-40/day parking spot is a massive subsidy for park and ride customers.

A Cadillac bike parking facility in Utrecht cost EUR30M for 12,500 spots, or about CAD$3500 per bike. You could make a very good facility for more like $1000/bike. Compare to CAD$128M for the Cooksville improvements, including 1900 spots in the new garage. Or, on the order of $50k+ per car. So unless park and ride customers are covering the cost of parking (~$20-$40 per working day amortizing over 5-10 years, putting no value on operating cost or the land), we really should be rolling out the red carpet for cyclists, even if we are going to the extreme of these kinds of high end parking facilities with heating (and showers, security, bike repair). A $20-40/day parking spot is a massive subsidy for park and ride customers.

Would this be a build it and they will come type theory!? People in Mississauga do not cycle. The current facilities for bikes are not at capacity making an argument for spending anything on bikes irrelevant.

It doesn't need to be big at Cooksville. People don't ride because their bikes are exposed to weather and liable to be stolen, as well as not having good/safe access to the site. GO stations in general should be encouraging cycling much more than they are, scaling up car parking is not practical and it's a crime to be building car palaces like this and giving it away for free.

Cooksville GO – New station amenities open September 21
5f63e8b206b6a331b34f8441.jpg
5f63e8b206b6a331b34f8442.jpg
Cooksville GO passengers: Starting Monday, September 21, the east pavilion, east tunnel, east side of the platform and the pedestrian bridge will open, making it easier for you to access the station and more GO services:

- The full length of the platform will be open for you to use, but please stand on the west side of the platform to board your train. Train doors will NOT open on the east side until later this fall.

- The east pavilion, located north of the Kiss & Ride, will provide more amenities for you – a waiting area, secure indoor bike shelter and outdoor bike shelter. Inside, you’ll have direct access to the newly opened east tunnel. The east tunnel access will also be available from the GO Station building which opened last fall.

- The pedestrian bridge connecting to the platform, which is accessible from the fourth floor of the parking garage, will open for you to use.

Construction is ongoing at the station as we work to reach final completion. Some items including digital signs will not be complete until later this fall.

Click here to get more information about construction at your station.

Thank you for your patience.

Sept 23
As usually, Metrolinx opens stations with elevators not working. The elevator on the east section that just open is not working.

The access from the platform to Hurontario will not open until the fare machines are install at the east end.

Access to indoor bike room was lock.

Lots of finishing material still to be install. Otherwise, station very clean and working. Lights on the underside of stair handrail.

One things we saw and head shaking, there is a ramp from the existing tunnel to the new area for the stair and elevator for the new entrance for the kiss & ride, yet there is a set of stairs and a narrow ramp to the lower level that connects to the new station. Why one full ramp and a stair and ramp for the next area??

Lot more up on site.
50376361753_79c362831f_b.jpg

50377060266_e4680a2152_b.jpg

50376361348_5684e974ef_b.jpg

50376361128_e0d572f364_b.jpg

50377231752_c5389103aa_b.jpg

50377059481_fdcbfb1066_b.jpg

50377231622_2f5e7b3622_b.jpg

50377059346_cb5ce1033a_b.jpg

50376360408_a2d9ce3cc3_b.jpg

50377058561_8f5daeeb07_b.jpg

50377058301_1b77631ff3_b.jpg