Toronto George Brown College: Limberlost Place | 52.5m | 10s | George Brown | Moriyama Teshima Architects

Which of the four finalist design teams' concept do you prefer?

• Moriyama & Teshima Architects + Acton Ostry Architects

• Patkau Architects + MJMA

• Provencher Roy + Turner Fleischer

• Shigeru Ban + Brook McIlroy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ah something interesting in the Architectural Plans - the exterior cladding is terracotta (TERC in Legend):

AoD

Ah something interesting in the Architectural Plans - the exterior cladding is terracotta (TERC in Legend):

View attachment 185040

AoD

Smart choice (as long as it is spec'd well); I'm not a fan of the aluminum panels that are meant to look like wood, so this seems like a nice way to evoke the structural materiality whilst staying onside of building code cladding regs.

Terracotta is a great material that's still too rarely used on new projects with its warm colours and interesting textures. The Victorians did amazing things with ornamental terracotta panels. I wish that we'd see architects revisit and reimagine some of their creations, which can still be found on 19th-century buildings all around the pre-amalgamation City of Toronto.

Terracotta is a great material that's still too rarely used on new projects with its warm colours and interesting textures. The Victorians did amazing things with ornamental terracotta panels. I wish that we'd see architects revisit and reimagine some of their creations, which can still be found on 19th-century buildings all around the pre-amalgamation City of Toronto.

Studio Bell (National Music Centre) in Calgary is clad in a beautiful terra cotta tile. The way they spaced the tiles helps give the building some depth and visual interest too. It's actually stunning in person.

i thought they used steel tiles for the national Music centre.

Product Description. The selection of the building’s façade material was based both on it’s need to negotiate the complex wall geometries in a smooth fashion and the goal that it have a visually rich quality to magnify the varied natural light conditions of Calgary. The small module and concealed clip system of the Moeding terracotta tile rainscreen successfully achieve the desired smooth surface appearance and the custom glazes developed by Tichelaar Makkum impart a varied richness that gives the building a dignified presence within its urban landscape.

Renzo's office uses it extensively too, to fantastic effect.

Back