Toronto George Brown College: Limberlost Place | 52.5m | 10s | George Brown | Moriyama Teshima Architects

Which of the four finalist design teams' concept do you prefer?

• Moriyama & Teshima Architects + Acton Ostry Architects

• Patkau Architects + MJMA

• Provencher Roy + Turner Fleischer

• Shigeru Ban + Brook McIlroy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Least Favourite is Provencher Roy. It just comes off as 'flat' to me. No 'pop'; also don't feel any allusion to the underlying material, at least from a distance, in that render.

I think Moriyama is my fav. It's got an excellent expression of the material pallet, it feels original and warm. My only knock on it, is that from a side view, I get more 'church' than house...which I'm not completely taken by; on the other hand it doesn't bother me that much either.

Shigeru I think is second for me, mainly for originality of form.

Patkau isn't bad, but comes off as a bit cold and a bit boxy and less original than those I listed above.

Moriyama for me, but could be Shigeru if I knew wtf this is:

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.24.24 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.24.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.24.24 PM.png
    86 KB · Views: 848
Agreed Moriyama is possibly my favourite. I really like how dark and imposing it is in a cathedral kinda way. Has a lot of attitude.

Shigeru close second.

I don’t hate any of the options though.

Wow amazing! Shigeru is my favourite by far, and then Patkau, but echoing what others have said, I'd like whichever runner up to replace the terribly unimaginative Innovation Centre.

They're all good in different ways.

I feel like Roy proposal will win - it seems the most 'Toronto".

Patkau looks great in the renderings, but it seems like a project that'll look fantastic at night, less so during the day.

Shigeru is probably my favourite.

Moriyama's definitely has a church-like feel.

I love the Shigeru Ban design, but this is the wrong spot for it. It shouldn't be hidden from the water behind the first GBC building here. It should be right by the lake, standing proud. Put it in Promontory Park or somewhere else along the water in the Port Lands, and make it part of the package that Waterfront Toronto pus together to draw people down to that part of the City when redevelopment gets going. It would make an amazing looking cultural/community centre.

Something more angular makes sense in this location, in this context with the angular Daphne Cockwell building, and out of those designs I like Patkau most, Moriyama next, and then P+R. Or, building on my dream world scenario, use the Patkau design for Menkes' Innovation Centre and go with Moriyama for The Arbour. To me, the Provencher + Roy would make a perfect addition to UTSC: it looks like a glass-sheathed Brutalist building, and would work well with the John Andrews designs up there.

Or, building on my dream world scenario, use the Patkau design for Menkes' Innovation Centre and go with Moriyama for The Arbour. To me, the Provencher + Roy would make a perfect addition to UTSC: it looks like a glass-sheathed Brutalist building, and would work well with the John Andrews designs up there.

Your definitely on to something w/this idea. The only problem being I find the P+R design every bit as blah as most of UTSC, and I don't think we should continue sentencing suburban college students to ho-hum architecture, even if it fits in flawlessly w/the badly flawed current campus'

UTSC should be done over, and it should be done w/buildings that meet the street, but feature soaring open timbers, ideally native pine, cedar and oak, melding by glass that lets those in the building feel apart of the adjacent nature instead of cut off from it; and let's those at the street feel as though the campus naturally emerges from the forest.

Back