George Brown College: The Arbour | 52m | 10s | George Brown | Moriyama & Teshima

Which of the four finalist design teams' concept do you prefer?

• Moriyama & Teshima Architects + Acton Ostry Architects

• Patkau Architects + MJMA

• Provencher Roy + Turner Fleischer

• Shigeru Ban + Brook McIlroy

Results are only viewable after voting.

hagge

Member Bio
Reaction score
Going by this comment, I suspect you are someone who just looks at the shape of a building and takes no time to investigate further. I'd encourage you, and a lot of other forumers, to look more closely at the experience of a building, its materiality, its detailing, its environmental tactics and systems, etc. etc. There is a lot more to see and experience of a building beyond a massing.
I do find the interior quite lacking as well? There's a lack of clarity on the overall design and structural detailing. They have shown some interesting elements but they looked to me like a hotchpotch of ideas rather than anything coherent. I have a hard time thinking that this is some great design, massing or otherwise. I think M&T has done some pretty good work in the past but I think this is far from their best.

Granted, I haven't seen much more for the other schemes to make an informed judgement to say if they are better or worse.

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Going by this comment, I suspect you are someone who just looks at the shape of a building and takes no time to investigate further. I'd encourage you, and a lot of other forumers, to look more closely at the experience of a building, its materiality, its detailing, its environmental tactics and systems, etc. etc. There is a lot more to see and experience of a building beyond a massing.
Not really. I've been active on this board for more than a decade and commented on all the elements you mention numerous times on countless buildings. I want the experience of the building to be outstanding, including its materials, fine details, environmental profile, and layouts. But I want an interesting profile and massing too because it's so uncommon to see those elements used to build buildings of landmark quality in Toronto. Design competitions are great opportunities to build something "for the love of architecture" that checks off all the above boxes, not just some.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score

tripwire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I see a lot of (open) space for students to congregate, but not really a lot of lecture halls or classrooms?

isaidso

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is that for the strip of land between the rail lines and Gardiner? If so the City needs to secure it for a future Rail Deck park east.