Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

Not really tooooo big a fan of them from the renderings, but that could and may very well change when the actual towers go up just based on my understanding of Gehry stuff looking different from what is conceptualised by various models. What materials will the outside be, glass and titanium?

Obviously will end up being better than most of the rent-a-condos going up in that area and around, by a substantial margin, I assume.

Last edited:
I'm okay with the flat glass because it contrasts well with the other elements.
My issue with flat glass is how much sterilizes the rhythm and character of the street. Obviously this building will enhance the skyline, but when you're walking by and not looking up, flat glass facades are so lifeless, especially when they're covered in plastic window wrappings. Bringing some of the textural elements to the ground floor can really enhance the experience and connect the building to the viewer. 19th century buildings always have detailed ground floors and are a pleasure to walk past.

Not really tooooo big a fan of them from the renderings, but that could and may very well change when the actual towers go up just based on my understanding of Gehry stuff looking different from what is conceptualised by various models. What materials will the outside be, glass and titanium?

Obviously will end up being better than most of the rent-a-condos going up in that area and around, by a substantial margin, I assume.
You like Strada and DesignHaus, yet you're "not really tooooo big a fan" of these?????

What world is this?

My issue with flat glass is how much sterilizes the rhythm and character of the street. Obviously this building will enhance the skyline, but when you're walking by and not looking up, flat glass facades are so lifeless, especially when they're covered in plastic window wrappings. Bringing some of the textural elements to the ground floor can really enhance the experience and connect the building to the viewer. 19th century buildings always have detailed ground floors and are a pleasure to walk past.

Good observation.

That's my concern with the base as well. There seems to be a mix of flat glass surfaces and texture on the towers, so I think it should be okay in that regard.

Would love to see some more detailed versions of the base.

probably slower because we have human rights, worker unions, and thorough inspections and approval processes here

They have plenty of inspections and regulations, China isn't a knuckledragging tinpot country you know. Japan has even more stringent regulations than us and can manage infrastructure far more effectively. It's called will to work, and Canadians are lazy as hell.

They have plenty of inspections and regulations, China isn't a knuckledragging tinpot country you know. Japan has even more stringent regulations than us and can manage infrastructure far more effectively. It's called will to work, and Canadians are lazy as hell.
I feel like we're afraid to just get shit done. We're willing to work hard, but it isn't always very focused/directed.

Dream, Great Gulf and the Gehry project

Westdale is partners with Great Gulf and Dream Unlimited on a two-tower mixed-use project in downtown Toronto designed by world-renowned architect Frank Gehry and his team.

The 74-storey east tower and 84-storey west tower to be built on King Street West between the Royal Alexandra Theatre and Princess of Wales Theatre will have approximately 2,000 condo suites and 150,000 square feet of commercial space.

Two floors in the east tower will add space to OCAD University’s Sharp Centre for Design at 100 McCaul St., located a few blocks north of the Gehry project site.

Marketing and sales for the project will start next year, with construction likely to follow in 2023. No timeline has been announced for how long it will take to build the two towers.

ron-paul-its-happening-animated.0.0.gif

Back