Toronto Garrison Point | 118.56m | 35s | Cityzen | Hariri Pontarini

Yeah, some of those are nice to look at, but I think we have different tastes. Fashion house is an eye soar. Zen is ok, not great, and debatable if it's more stunning than GP 1/2. I like Kingly. I like Brant Park too. Tableau, yeah beautiful. Those are definitely outliers in a city of drab looking condos. My point is that Garrison Point is coming along well, the detailing is starting to look good, and it's an order of magnitude better in design than most of the drab condos going up in the area in my opinion.

Fashion house is an eyesore but this is good? In what way? Problem with GP are the materials and cost-cutting. It really takes away from a bold design when the developer value engineers a lot of stuff. Kinda reminds me of what happened to 1 yorkville.

Fashion house is an eyesore but this is good? In what way? Problem with GP are the materials and cost-cutting. It really takes away from a bold design when the developer value engineers a lot of stuff. Kinda reminds me of what happened to 1 yorkville.
Fashion House Condos is a prime example of cost-cutting usages of materials throughout some residents there started calling it a 'Fragile House'.

Given how much the developer was selling it for, back in 2013 and the construction cost they are paying now...
It's a decent quality condo building
Btw they even paint the underside of the balcony slab white (which is rare in liberty village) to reflect the white aluminium fritting

What are the cost cutting usages of material? What material are they using versus what they planned to use originally? Fashion House doesn't look good at all. Never said it did. The only thing good about Fashion House is The Keg; what's growing out of it is a monstrosity...

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I must have missed the bat signal to stop my life and reply to your post.

Mr. Cityzen, I thought the discussion ended when you called Fashion House an eyesore and this "good". Does Fashion House even use Spandrel? The materials used there are superior. Also did a great job incorporating the existing building which is now The Keg. Great looking retail as well.

Eyesore?
[uncredited image removed]

If you can't see the value engineering of Spandrel EVERYWHERE then why even bother continuing the conversation? Agree to disagree, move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is Mr Cityzen? I don't know why you keep saying me, or someone I don't know who, called fashion house and eye soar and called it "good". It's an eye soar. It's boxy, it's ugly. The use of spandrel does not make or break good design by itself. Fashion House looks terrible, but we can agree to disagree. Fine..GP, sure there is some window spandrel, but that's not always a bad thing. Not everyone wants a floor to ceiling window for their bathroom walls...as an example....

I will give credit to Fashion House that the first 4 floors look good. I don't like the forced red curtain; I don't like curtains at all, they are tacky. I do like the continuous floor to ceiling windows without a break and as single glass panels. That's beautiful. But overall.... My position on this building doesn't change. I walk by it regularly. Investment wise, it's been great for many investors.

Last edited:
Who is Mr Cityzen? I don't know why you keep saying me, or someone I don't know who, called fashion house and eye soar and called it "good". It's an eye soar. It's boxy, it's ugly. The use of spandrel does not make or break good design by itself. Fashion House looks terrible, but we can agree to disagree. Fine..GP, sure there is some window spandrel, but that's not always a bad thing. Not everyone wants a floor to ceiling window for their bathroom walls...as an example....

I will give credit to Fashion House that the first 4 floors look good. I don't like the forced red curtain; I don't like curtains at all, they are tacky. I do like the continuous floor to ceiling windows without a break and as single glass panels. That's beautiful. But overall.... My position on this building doesn't change. I walk by it regularly. Investment wise, it's been great for many investors.
You are right there are spandrels on all in-suite bathroom facing exterior facade...thanks god...

Besides, one's feeling about a building can be subjective. We are talking about the facts. Given the revenue Cityzen got from the market vs. the cost they are paying to maintain the design integrity, the outcome is reasonably pleasant. I am not saying it was perfect but they tried, I am hoping to see fritted balcony panel as shown on the elevation...
Pages from Architectural Plans - Part 2 of 2.jpg

You are right there are spandrels on all in-suite bathroom facing exterior facade...thanks god...

Besides, one's feeling about a building can be subjective. We are talking about the facts. Given the revenue Cityzen got from the market vs. the cost they are paying to maintain the design integrity, the outcome is reasonably pleasant. I am not saying it was perfect but they tried, I am hoping to see fritted balcony panel as shown on the elevation...View attachment 210765
Nice screen grab.

Where do you find these architectural plans?

Besides, one's feeling about a building can be subjective. We are talking about the facts. Given the revenue Cityzen got from the market vs. the cost they are paying to maintain the design integrity, the outcome is reasonably pleasant. I am not saying it was perfect but they tried, I am hoping to see fritted balcony panel as shown on the elevation...View attachment 210765
It looks like the fritted balcony panels are there as well as the tinted panels. The building is using both and it's clear to see when looking at it.

Again, based on the pix above, clearly, the facets have been value-engineered out of the design. So, why are the diagonal pieces still there? They don't signify anything anymore and they look silly. Is Cityzen trying to pull a fast one on us by signalling that a design element's still there when, in fact, it's been eliminated?

Again, based on the pix above, clearly, the facets have been value-engineered out of the design. So, why are the diagonal pieces still there? They don't signify anything anymore and they look silly. Is Cityzen trying to pull a fast one on us by signalling that a design element's still there when, in fact, it's been eliminated?

Uhm.. The building is still under construction...

When you look at the original architecture plans it seems on point with what has been done so far with more work to be done. So, could you clarify whats you mean? Which facets?

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 8.12.44 AM.png

I think everyone is talking about how in the renders, the top balconies look to be angled more (see below). I think its just different angle photos making it look more drastic. You could imagine looking directly at the south side of the building and the metal beams would look like a straight continuation (architectural pic above). The other difference seems to be that the top floors aren't inset as much as the renders, so the balcony recession by floor isn't as pronounced.

I

Back