Toronto Garden District Condos | 99.97m | 32s | Hyde Park | a—A

Wait - are they actually rebuilding heritage buildings from scratch??

That was my understanding based on renderings:

22133-83734.jpeg

Architectural recreation is often executed poorly but there are fabulous examples of it all over the world. People, myself included, have an enduring love of pre-WW2 architecture so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a sprinkling of new buildings like that. In some cases, we could re-build lost heritage. I think people would be surprised how many centuries old Parisien buildings are actually new. Berlin has quite a bit too.

I saw some glazing up on the south side when I was passing by the site a few days ago. Didn’t manage to get photos but just a heads up for keen photographers in the area.

Architectural recreation is often executed poorly but there are fabulous examples of it all over the world. People, myself included, have an enduring love of pre-WW2 architecture so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing a sprinkling of new buildings like that. In some cases, we could re-build lost heritage. I think people would be surprised how many centuries old Parisien buildings are actually new. Berlin has quite a bit too.
Much of Europe for that matter, as a lot needed to be rebuilt after WW2. There are definitely some lost Toronto buildings that I'd love to see recreating, albeit the materiality and craftsmanship has to be well executed, otherwise why bother. It would definitely be nice to see some more traditional, masonry clad proposals to break up all the glass- something like the proposal at 147 Spadina comes to mind, I have high hopes for that one.

@ Rascacielo

That cladding supplier must have received 2 simultaneous orders (does aA have a new cladding supplies division?).;)

Or as ProjectEnd put it back in May "So essentially 8 Cumberland, V2."

aA-designed 8 Cumberland
3dtdSOH9L3.jpeg

Johnny Au

Back