Toronto Garden District Condos | 99.97m | 32s | Hyde Park | a—A

It's possible that the owners were negligent by not having adequate security for these buildings and adequate fire suppression measures. To them, it's a basic business decision. "Why invest in security and fire suppression if I'm just going to tear these buildings down for my development?" But a couple of firefighters were injured because of it. One was critically injured. Now, taxpayers have to pay for their healthcare and worker's compensation because of the fire.

It's possible that the owners were negligent by not having adequate security for these buildings and adequate fire suppression measures. To them, it's a basic business decision. "Why invest in security and fire suppression if I'm just going to tear these buildings down for my development?" But a couple of firefighters were injured because of it. One was critically injured. Now, taxpayers have to pay for their healthcare and worker's compensation because of the fire.
Perhaps - but it is extremely difficult to fully lock up a building in which somebody wants to get in.

when a building is unoccupied, it’s very difficult to keep people out of it. Perhaps the solution is much like how companies have dealt with the rise of crane climbers, just post regular security patrols. Simply locking the front door and boarding up the windows isn’t going to cut it.

Perhaps - but it is extremely difficult to fully lock up a building in which somebody wants to get in.

when a building is unoccupied, it’s very difficult to keep people out of it. Perhaps the solution is much like how companies have dealt with the rise of crane climbers, just post regular security patrols. Simply locking the front door and boarding up the windows isn’t going to cut it.

I agree that it's not easy, though I suspect that steel mesh on the windows or sealing them off with bricks or cinderblocks plus security patrols would reduce the risk of fires significantly.

In the end, these aren't owners of limited means in American ghetto. These people have the means to prevent these situations, but they're not doing so. Innocent people are paying for it, whether the injured firefighters or taxpayers in general.

Taken from an uber on Saturday...

Well it doesn't look like they saved the facade of that one, despite it still seeming usable. Wonder what they are thinking.. It was supposed to be re-used. The amount of time from fire to demolition was way too short to properly assess its condition.

Last edited:
The police have also released a composite sketch of the suspect wanted in connection with the fire.

Blaze that left 2 Toronto firefighters injured deemed arson, suspect wanted

By Ryan Rocca Global News
Posted November 7, 2019 11:54 am

I wonder if he's also wanted for the Edison Hotel fire.

Back