Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

So, around 300 turned out. Nothing new that we haven't seen, other than one new aerial rendering, included below.

The City laid out the process and the proposal from their POV, the development did the same from their take. People sitting around tables discussed the plan and filled out forms given to the City and the team, answering the questions 'what do you like about the plan?', 'what do you not like about the plan?', and 'what changes would you make?', each broken down into a number of categories. Members of the development team and City planning staff were available to answer questions during the round table time. There was no "report back" time at the end, which happens at most of these events, other than for the David Driedger, the planner on the file, reporting on a few things he heard at some of the tables he stopped in at.

Our table - only 4 of us, 2 of us being UTers, was pretty much in tune, liking the plan overall, concerned that the tallest couple of towers are too tall, wanting more connectivity from the proposal with local cycle lanes (like along Lappin to the south), wondering how effective the transportation plan will be in terms of stopping the diagonal road through the site from becoming a major shortcut. We love the park concept plans.

Other tables identified issues like too many studios and 1 bedroom units, too few 2 and 3 bedroom units. Pretty much everyone wants less density. We only wanted a bit less, others are calling for a lot less.

That's not an exhaustive list of comments. There were at least 4 UTers at the event, and it would be interesting to hear their takes as well!

New aerial:

IMG_1494.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    522 KB · Views: 1,018
Our table - only 4 of us, 2 of us being UTers, was pretty much in tune, liking the plan overall, concerned that the tallest couple of towers are too tall...

Thanks for the aerial!

If you want an idea of how high those towers are, the 3 tallest takes spots 160, 235 and 263 in The 120m List. There are no other buildings in ward 15 or any of the other wards surrounding it (19, 14, 13, 11, 17, 21) that make the list, and the ones in Ward 20 are east of Spadina.

I know I'm one of those heightist guys, and generally I am supportive of tall towers, but even how far those would stick out kinda makes me cringe. On the other hand, I am hopeful that this can start to be a catalyst for density in this yellow belt.

Other tables identified issues like too many studios and 1 bedroom units, too few 2 and 3 bedroom units. Pretty much everyone wants less density. We only wanted a bit less, others are calling for a lot less.
View attachment 102747

I agree that more two and three bedroom (plus den) units should be considered.

More two and three bedrooms should be considered, if that consideration is paired with making these units affordable. They become out of reach to most families and end up becoming student housing - since 3 students can carry the mortgage + fees easily, while a family of two parents with children cannot. (which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing either since students need affordable accommodation - it just won't attract the families that many seem to think it will)

More two and three bedrooms should be considered, if that consideration is paired with making these units affordable. They become out of reach to most families and end up becoming student housing - since 3 students can carry the mortgage + fees easily, while a family of two parents with children cannot. (which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing either since students need affordable accommodation - it just won't attract the families that many seem to think it will)

I agree that most of the 3-br units I've seen being developed are prohibitively expensive. The plans usually go all out, so that it's not just an extra BR being added, but a huge living space, larger bathrooms, large terrace, etc.

I think Tridel is the only developer that I've seen make very compact and efficient 3-BR plans that are more reasonably priced. I'm guessing there is some mechanism that makes this happen, but it seems like many buyers would be interested in 3-BR units that aren't meant to be huge and luxurious, but just a bit bigger with an extra bedroom, so you can actually fit a family in them.

In New York City, and recently here in Toronto, people have been buying two adjoining units (side-by-side or over each other) and then join them together into one giant unit.

11COVER_SPAN-jumbo.jpg

jump-1-jumbo.jpg

See link.

Of course, if you had the money, you might even combine more than just two. See link.

niccage_nyc_fp.jpg

Or the very rich. See link
30D0C91A00000578-3428247-image-a-51_1454432611911.jpg

After Trump's parents sold their apartment in 2001, the new owners combined it with a unit next door, adding an extra bedroom and bathroom as well as an office and library.

Last edited:
So what is the plan for controlling traffic through this diagnal street? Because some speed bumps and making it one way is not gonna cut it. Neither is restricting turning during certain times, because drivers regularly ignore those. Seems like poor planning to me.

Easy - make it narrow, put some chicanes in, slap a roundabout in the middle if you have to. That will slow down the traffic plenty.

AoD

I know I'm one of those heightist guys, and generally I am supportive of tall towers, but even how far those would stick out kinda makes me cringe.
Why is it cringe-worthy?

I see that as a plus if anything, to have a local node of density in a location that does not come at a cost of an existing established neighbourhood.

One of the traffic control plans for the diagonal street is they are proposing that no left turn be allowed onto it from Dufferin, while a new left-turn lane will be added from Dufferin to Dupont. That will require a widening of Dufferin at that intersection, so the developers are planning to transfer the land required to the City. They're also planning to transfer land so that Dupont can be widened and the bends smoothed out slightly.

So what is the plan for controlling traffic through this diagnal street? Because some speed bumps and making it one way is not gonna cut it. Neither is restricting turning during certain times, because drivers regularly ignore those. Seems like poor planning to me.

The suburban councillors would say it would cost too much for the paint and bollards.

Last edited:
I heard through a friend that the mall could close by the end of this year - early next year. I don't know if this is an old rumour, or something new. Anyhow, the Food Basics at the base of Fuse Condos is almost ready to open, which will solve the problem of keeping an affordable food store in the neighbourhood.

I heard through a friend that the mall could close by the end of this year - early next year. I don't know if this is an old rumour, or something new. Anyhow, the Food Basics at the base of Fuse Condos is almost ready to open, which will solve the problem of keeping an affordable food store in the neighbourhood.
Food Basics and Shoppers Drug Mart opened this morning at the bottom of Fuse Condos.

I heard from an industry consultant that the McDonalds on site will likely slow everything down as its lease doesn't renew for some time. That being said, perhaps McDonalds can operate given the site will be developed in phases.

Back