Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

Any value to pumping up Dupont bus service to the point that residents here might ride it to the 1 line to avoid the crush? Extending some Bay bus branches along Dupont to Dufferin?
It is an idea worth investingating.

The thing is, buses take up a heck of a lot of roadspace. They are frankly, a large cause of congestion with how they must interweave in between lanes to pick-up/drop-off passengers and bypass other stopped buses.

Dupont is already a stupidly congested road due to how it is designed and because of it being adjacent to a rail corridor with many 'crush' points at many intersections. Adding many more buses to the mix could end up slowing things to a halt.

Don't think Dupont or a Bay bus extension would be possible to use an articulated bus, because of the turns and curves.

Worlds+Longest+Bus.jpg

It is an idea worth investingating.

The thing is, buses take up a heck of a lot of roadspace. They are frankly, a large cause of congestion with how they must interweave in between lanes to pick-up/drop-off passengers and bypass other stopped buses.

Dupont is already a stupidly congested road due to how it is designed and because of it being adjacent to a rail corridor with many 'crush' points at many intersections. Adding many more buses to the mix could end up slowing things to a halt.
Add as many buses as necessary. If the road becomes too congested, then car drivers must figure out whether they want to continue to drive their vehicles down it.

I mean, It's a 10 min walk to Dufferin Station. These people are just going to be absorbed into the area's existing transit. Split between Lansdowne Station, Dufferin Station, the 47, 29, and 26.

I mean, It's a 10 min walk to Dufferin Station. These people are just going to be absorbed into the area's existing transit. Split between Lansdowne Station, Dufferin Station, the 47, 29, and 26.

Nothing wrong with walking either, I think we forget that sometimes. I would like to see north-south mid-block pathways intersecting Lappin, Millicent, Armstrong and Wallace to give those residents an alternative walking path that isn't along Dufferin though. I'm sure residents would have a thing or two to say about it though.

Anyone know for when and where (or perhaps a question of "if"?) the next public consultation for this development is scheduled?

The developers will tell you they considered it if you ask them, but they haven't elaborated further.

That could mean that they couldn't get at least one of the properties at what they consider a reasonable price, (and if you can't get all of them, it's not really worth it)…
or it could mean that because building up against the rail corridor substantially complicates things (due of many more regulations to deal with), they may have not felt it would be worth their while.

Has anyone thought to purchase the lands fronting the tracks to allow for the straightening Dupont and subsequent development of the north side?

That would take some significant rejigging to what's proposed, the development would need to be trimmed along the south to not take away from the committed park space, and then scaled down as it went south towards the single houses on Lappin. But one benefit could be potential increased height and density on those parcels north of Dupont. I mean, lots that front the street and back onto a railway berm, why not?

It's all tradeoffs, I guess the effort wouldn't have been worth it.

I've explained in several posts earlier in this thread why straightening Dupont, and dealing with the lands to the north, would be incredibly costly and complicated, with very little return for the developer (and, frankly, not that significant of a return for the City either). I won't go into it again, because frankly I think there are likely people here tired of hearing me talk about it. :p

With the Galleria site redeveloped, and the entire area gentrifying, I think that narrow strip north of Dupont has potential to develop into something interesting over time. IIRC (I haven't looked at it in some time), the permitted uses in the zoning are restricted, due to the railway corridor and OP policy, so we won't see residential or mainstream retail. But we might get interesting industrial commercial uses, similar to what's happening on Wagstaff Dr in the east end.

With the new 30 metre regulation, I doubt you could redevelop the buildings on the north side of Dupont opposite the Galleria: those are very shallow lots.

Got that in the mail today- Community Meeting on Thursday March 23 - 7.00PM - 9:00PM

IMG_20170310_184836.jpg

Also, and I hope @innsertnamehere doesn't get mad at me for sharing his awesome work posted on the Future Toronto 3d model thread here, but here is an image showing the project (and other projects too) in its environment:

12.jpg

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 609
  • IMG_20170310_184836.jpg
    IMG_20170310_184836.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 538

Back