Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

I took my niece to a class at the Galleria. She saw that they were removing a few arcade game machines from the hall. With a sad expression on her face she asked "is something going to happen to the mall?". Too smart. Not everyone it seems will be happy to see this beast go ;)

Having the diagonal road connecting at both ends will become a main drag and short cut than the current way for traffic. There is talk that the Dupont intersection could be one way only and still under review. Dufferin St will be come 5-6 lanes wide to deal with left hand turning with the sidewalk being shifted to the west. Should widen the east side sidewalk at the same time.

The thing that gets me about the diagonal road is the connection to Dupont. It's right on a curve and very close to the existing intersection. Somehow it doesn't seem like it would meet current road standards.

To those who want may not like the high-rises in the Galleria Mall redevelopment, it should be expected. It's either suburban sprawl or high-rises.

GTA’s land-readiness shortage hinders development

The land shortage in the GTA is due to a lack of investment in infrastructure, according to BILD president Brian Tuckey.

See link.

However, the high-rises in this development should include at a minimum 2-bedrooms, preferably 3-bedrooms, ideally 3-bedroom plus a den.

Having a look at the plans on Sat, a few red flags for me.

Having the diagonal road connecting at both ends will become a main drag and short cut than the current way for traffic. There is talk that the Dupont intersection could be one way only and still under review. Dufferin St will be come 5-6 lanes wide to deal with left hand turning with the sidewalk being shifted to the west. Should widen the east side sidewalk at the same time.

Too many parking spots and needs to be reduce to 50% of less regardless of retail being there.

Have no issues with height and did live across the street next to the fire hall as a kid.

Transit will be a bitch and this bring up the idea that been floating around for decades of having streetcars on Dufferin St in mix traffic. The line would run as phase II from Dupont to Dufferin Gate with Phase I being from Dundas to Queen. When the Dufferin bridge was build, provision was made for tracks in the road that was fill in with asphalt that could be dug out when time came to build the line. Don't think Metrolinx is doing this for the current expansion. Phase III going north of Dupont has to be underground to St Clair due to the grade. Same will happen north of Rogers Rd to North of Eglinton.

The ward councilor is/has/will make a motion to split the 29 route into 3 different routes when the Crosstown Line opens in 2021-22. One route would run from Dupont south to service this development. A 2nd route would run from Eglinton south. The 3rd route would run as is. A possible 4 route would only run north of Eglinton. She also wants the Dupont to be split as well with one route running east from Dufferin St. The plan does call for a transit stop on the diagonal road near the north-south road. One thing the ward councilor as well other councilors need to do, is ride the 29 at various times of the day as well the weekend to understand how the line operates and where are the current bottle neck are. Not going to be cheap splitting routes without adding more service. 29 is a rollercoaster line from end to end with a lot of peaks and valleys along it.

At some point, the City and TTC needs to deal with Dufferin ridership as buses have or about to reach their max point even with artic buses getting down to 90 seconds Headway.

2 things that needs to be be added on the south side and not clear if it been plan for, but there needs to be an out door rink there as well the dirt bike area that are there today. Even a skate board area is needed.

To do some of these things will require the developers kicking in more money for section 37 to get the extra heights.

Too many parking spots? The reality of this development is a lot of residents are going to drive. It's not well served by transit. The dufferin bus is very unpleasant. It has good access to dupont and davenport that makes driving attractive. It's not a walkable neighbourhood.

Dreaming about a dufferin streetcar line in 20-30 years is fine.. but it won't stop people from driving. It's a lot of new people to plop down in one spot without heavy rail.

These condos aren't going to be affordable places to live. They'll be targeted at people with the means to drive.

However, the high-rises in this development should include at a minimum 2-bedrooms, preferably 3-bedrooms, ideally 3-bedroom plus a den.
But they won't, because they won't get loans from the banks to begin construction if they don't pre-sale 80% of units, and 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom and 3-bedroom+den take several times longer to sell than a 1-bedroom bachelor.

Too many parking spots? The reality of this development is a lot of residents are going to drive. It's not well served by transit. The dufferin bus is very unpleasant. It has good access to dupont and davenport that makes driving attractive. It's not a walkable neighbourhood.

Dreaming about a dufferin streetcar line in 20-30 years is fine.. but it won't stop people from driving. It's a lot of new people to plop down in one spot without heavy rail.

These condos aren't going to be affordable places to live. They'll be targeted at people with the means to drive.
This is being built as a self-contained walkable neighbourhood, but if you mean that it's not located so that people can walk to work, well, no, it's too far from downtown to be useful to people who wish to walk there.

Cycle, though? Sure.

Transit? Yeah, the Dufferin buses are busy now, but soon enough the the Crosstown will be open—around the time the first buildings here are done I suspect—and a number of Dufferin bus riders will be diverted onto it. Meanwhile, this, and a pile of other mid-rise proposals on Dupont will mean that that bus will finally have a frequent enough schedule to be an attractive option, especially for those who want to head for the University subway line. So, transit's not as dire as you're claiming here.

In terms of parking spaces, if they do end up with 3,280 spots for 3,416 suites (or a comparable 96% for whatever reduced number of suites is approved), I think the developers will be going back to the Committee of Adjustment for variances to decrease the number of spots as the buildings go up. That many parking spots simply won't sell. I'd be surprised if they need more than 50% of the number of approved suites, but then there will also be spaces for retail, recreation, etc., onsite. Out of the half of suite owners who end up with a car in the basement, you'll get at best ⅔ of them driving to work every day. The times, they are a'changing.

Three "Notice" signs were put up last week all around the mall. Nothing new, but I thought I'd share for the record:
IMG_20161229_135618390.jpg
IMG_20161229_135624773.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161229_135618390.jpg
    IMG_20161229_135618390.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_20161229_135624773.jpg
    IMG_20161229_135624773.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 517
A sign like that sure will freak out anybody who had no idea about the plans here. Looks huge compared to the surrounding area.
thats because it is huge compared to the surrounding areas. Everyone who lives beside a plaza should prepare themselves for the time when their plaza turns condo. This is going to become more and more normal.

Huge yes, but there will soon be quite a cluster of towers around Lansdowne and Dupont that will help smooth things out a little, and one can hope the other corners of the Dufferin and Dupont intersection will be redeveloped as well one day.

Transit? Yeah, the Dufferin buses are busy now, but soon enough the the Crosstown will be open—around the time the first buildings here are done I suspect—and a number of Dufferin bus riders will be diverted onto it. Meanwhile, this, and a pile of other mid-rise proposals on Dupont will mean that that bus will finally have a frequent enough schedule to be an attractive option, especially for those who want to head for the University subway line. So, transit's not as dire as you're claiming here.

I used to walk from St. George and Dupont to St. George Station, so a healthy adult can walk to Dupont Station in about 10 minutes. It's an equivalent distance north to the 512, but twice as far to Eglinton. I can't see too many people diverted there. But the development is in the middle of a higher-order transit desert.

The chickens are coming home to roost. I am not sure that we can overcome the failure to plan and invest in transit over the past thirty years.

We are a little Manhattan with the transit system of a Fresno, CA. Great bus feeder network. MIA heavy-rail trunk.

Given that the Dufferin bus is so excruciating, what are the trip generators that make the 29 so busy, especially as I keep hearing that splitting the route will just force transfers because people use it for long trips? Hopefully, origin-destination planning is gonna start getting at least a little better at TTC with Presto data, bearing in mind the limitations of having to track across trips because of only doing tap-on.

Back