Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

March 22, 2020

20200322_183123.jpg
20200322_183200.jpg
20200322_183206.jpg
20200322_183241.jpg
20200322_183326.jpg

I look forward to the day when this collection of beige garbage gets re-developed. Maybe it will be one of those projects that Toronto re-builds 3-4 times before it's done properly. This is barely 10 years old if that.... but it has to go.

Galleria, on the other hand looks like a winner

Last edited:
I look forward to the day when this collection of beige garbage gets re-developed. Maybe it will be one of those projects that Toronto re-builds 3-4 times before it's done properly. This is barely 10 years old if that.... but it has to go.

Galleria, on the other hand looks like a winner
Before those were beige they were apparently brick clad factory buildings similar to the building at the base of the Fuse condos across the street. Before my time in this neighbourhood but people still talk about it with seething hatred for what it became.

I actually grew up just northeast of the area along Davenport, but for some reason I'm having a lot of difficulty remembering what the original American Standard factory buildings looked like. I also couldn't find any pertinent photos of it online. Most of the historic photos only capture the factory buildings north of Dupont and the train tracks, that which I have a better memory of.

From my understanding the conversion happened in the early 2000's, so I'd be too young to have a full recollection of their appearance. I only remember that they were pretty much fully gutted to its concrete shell before the restructuring and cladding in beige EIFS. The southern building, where Dollarama and a few other retailers are located, also took longer to complete its conversion.

I actually grew up just northeast of the area along Davenport, but for some reason I'm having a lot of difficulty remembering what the original American Standard factory buildings looked like. I also couldn't find any pertinent photos of it online. Most of the historic photos only capture the factory buildings north of Dupont and the train tracks, that which I have a better memory of.

From my understanding the conversion happened in the early 2000's, so I'd be too young to have a full recollection of their appearance. I only remember that they were pretty much fully gutted to its concrete shell before the restructuring and cladding in beige EIFS. The southern building, where Dollarama and a few other retailers are located, also took longer to complete its conversion.

Found this mid-conversion photo on Emporis

:
1594056295865.png

Found this shot w/them before the re-do but its quite distant over on www.railpictures.ca

1594056420537.png

Picture above is from 1965

They must be among the worst conversions in the history of this city. They mutilate their surroundings.

They must be among the worst conversions in the history of this city. They mutilate their surroundings.

Article from John Bentley Mays in 2004 wouldn't disagree w/you.

Found this mid-conversion photo on Emporis

: View attachment 256101

Found this shot w/them before the re-do but its quite distant over on www.railpictures.ca

View attachment 256102

Picture above is from 1965

I have a more vivid recollection of the mid-conversion shell stage. While, the second photo you posted does mostly coincide with my vague memory of the prior state. That they were grey-ish type buildings, and generally less architecturally notable to begin with than its counterparts north of Dupont. Which is no excuse for the shambolic conversion and adapted reuse though of course.

I have a more vivid recollection of the mid-conversion shell stage. While, the second photo you posted does mostly coincide with my vague memory of the prior state. That they were grey-ish type buildings, and generally less architecturally notable to begin with than its counterparts north of Dupont. Which is no excuse for the shambolic conversion and adapted reuse though of course.

The column from 2004 that I posted above notes they were, at least in their immediate pre-reno state, largely windowless and clad in metal.

Back