Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

Hope that the city gets the developer to straighten Dupont Street between Emerson Avenue and Dufferin Street, a little bit.

View attachment 52900

Maybe even put in parking laybys on the north side of Dupont Street, even on both sides.
This should be a must. The retail on the north side of the street are all but useless, the lots are too small.

The nature of the Galleria Mall lot makes it easy to open a new, straightened Dupont Street in phases, closing down the present street following the opening of the new one. Configuring the Dupont-Dufferin cross-walk sounds like a (necessary) commuter headache though.

This should be a must. The retail on the north side of the street are all but useless, the lots are too small.

The nature of the Galleria Mall lot makes it easy to open a new, straightened Dupont Street in phases, closing down the present street following the opening of the new one. Configuring the Dupont-Dufferin cross-walk sounds like a (necessary) commuter headache though.

Of course, the property owners may not want to buy the available property from the city (current Dupont Street), in which case they city could create a wide grassy, treed boulevard on the north side.

I think think would be a land switch between the developer and the city which would benefit both parties. The city would gain more condos to get more property tax than what those mechanics are probably paying.

I really hope they keep the jog. I love these little oddities in the grid. They can help create some really dynamic spaces. The jog in Carlton near Yonge (along with the massive streetwall) makes a unique space in Toronto. The old creeks help do this too.

If the grid was broken here I'd absolutely want to fix it. But as it stands, keep Dupont weird. Keep the jog.

Dupont Street, Royce Avenue, Warren Avenue, and Van Horne Avenue were joined up and straightened (sort of). See link and link. Annette Street should be added to that list as well, but wasn't.

This map shows it as Royce Avenue west of Dufferin Street (2nd Concession).
00062.jpg

It shows Dominion Radiator Co. Ltd. being in the way. Perhaps the reason why Lappin Avenue is so wide as it serves as the detour road around Dominion Radiator. Van Horne Avenue would be east of Dufferin Street, following today's Dupont Avenue.

Lappin Avenue was wide because it (and Hallam) was the path of the Harbord Streetcar until 1947. The Harbord Streetcar followed those streets because Dupont and Royce weren't though. After the connection was made, the Harbord Car was rerouted and local east-west service replaced by the new Annette Trolley Bus in 1947.

The Bloordale Community Improvement Association said on their twitter account that Freed Development and Elad Canada will hold an open house at the Galleria Mall on January 23, in front of Planet Fitness. They will apparently answer questions about their plans for the redevelopment of the mall. I cannot find any other mention of this event, though...

From the community meeting right now:
There's a series of boards presenting the story of the mall and the direction the neighbourhood is headed to. There's a giant board for people to put stickers on with their comments, ideas and feeling about what they want to see when the mall is redeveloped.
Confirmed for the project are:
Developers: Freed and Elad
Architects: Hariri Pontarini
Urban planning: Urban Strategies
Landscaping: Public Work
Transportation studies: BA Group

Timeline:
January to June 2016: developers will work with the Reimagine Galleria Group and the city to develop the plans.
July 2016 to 2017: development applications and approval process and further interaction with the community.

Happy to see the developers realize how important this redevelopment will be for the area and to see them engaging so well with the community.

The area is a dump with a high crime rate, i'm sure the community will be happy to see it razed and something nice go up here
While the Dupont corridor is certainly not the sexiest place in this city and is still quite industrial, the surrounding streets are just fine and FAR from begin the dump you think they are. Also, the reputation of the Dupont and Lansdowne intersection is one thing and might have been justified a few years ago, but the recent influx of new families and young professionals in Davenport Village and around has greatly watered down the neighborhood's population and reputation. Referring to it as an area with a "high crime rate" just seems really exaggerated to me, who has been living here in this "dump" for a few years now. Finally, your profile says you are located in South Parkdale, which has it's fare share of social issues as well as far as I know.

Anyhow, there was a great turnout from the community and it seems that people are and will be really involved in the redevelopment process. Ana Bailao also seemed pretty happy with this project.

Back