Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

This doesn't appear to have been added to the City's building permit status page just yet:

523231.JPG

Attachments

• 523231.JPG
    523231.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,011
The TTC is literally launching an express bus on Dufferin in October.. Transit improvements are on their way.
The last week something has been going on between lawrence and dufferin and wilson and dufferin. It is complete gridlock which is why I support LRT or even a BRT in its own lane. If I am going to take transit I should be rewarded not have to sit in traffic or worse stand in traffic because the bus is over flowing and its rush hour.

The last week something has been going on between lawrence and dufferin and wilson and dufferin. It is complete gridlock which is why I support LRT or even a BRT in its own lane. If I am going to take transit I should be rewarded not have to sit in traffic or worse stand in traffic because the bus is over flowing and its rush hour.
unfortunately part of the reason why traffic is so bad on Dufferin is that it is too narrow of a street - there is literally no space for bus lanes or LRT.

unfortunately part of the reason why traffic is so bad on Dufferin is that it is too narrow of a street - there is literally no space for bus lanes or LRT.
i thought north of eglinton they could widen the street a bit... im pretty sure there is space.... south of eglinton there is a car parking problem in my eyes. I am sorry to the home owners but dufferin is a major street and it doesnt help traffic weaving in and out of parked cars.

i thought north of eglinton they could widen the street a bit... im pretty sure there is space.... south of eglinton there is a car parking problem in my eyes. I am sorry to the home owners but dufferin is a major street and it doesnt help traffic weaving in and out of parked cars.
North of Eglinton the ROW widens out to 27m, which would just barely be enough for curbside bus lanes, but not much else. No room for left turn lanes, or sidewalks of any significant width.

North of Lawrence the ROW is 30m, which is the same as St. Clair, so lanes are possible there, but it gets difficult given all the structures the go over and under the roadway around Yorkdale and the 401.

Much of the heaviest parts of ridership are south of Eglinton though, which is tough to do anything significant beyond maybe a few special locations. Queue Jump Lanes may be possible at Dupont in front of this development, but beyond that, not much other than increased parking enforcement.

I know Toronto doesn't do this but if you ran a streetcar on dufferin not in the middle like standard streetcars but in the curb lane then you wouldnt need to built platforms in the middle saving space. I don't know the answer. Too bad the subway didnt go up here instead of where it did.

Dufferin USED to be a residential street. Only became a "major" street because of the automobile. From link.

s0372_ss0058_it1878.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it2132.jpg

I get that but the cars arent going anywhere... And it really isnt about the cars.... its about transit not being able to flow properly on it...

Like with Bathurst south of Eglinton, on-street parking here impedes the flow of traffic (as does lack of turn lanes). I know it wouldn't be nice to the owners of those properties, but limiting driveways and on-street parking would help a lot. What incentives could be offered to offset this change? Perhaps up-sizing the development allowed along these corridors to incent conversion to mid-rise. Do we have any politicians with the vision to see these opportunities, and potentially do the difficult job of driving a hard bargain?

Also, I would love to see better use of technology to give buses some kind of signal control/privileges. For example, why couldn't a transponder on a bus relayed to the traffic light cause it to say green longer, or a red light change to allow a waiting bus through. How about "red-light" type cameras on the backs of buses that would ticket cars driving dangerously around buses? Obviously dedicated bus lanes are not possible here, but we could do a lot more to prioritize transit.

It is a shame that road-pricing has not had a chance to be put into action, because it would have started the education process that the public badly needs about how to deal with congestion. People need concrete experience with these changes to see their value. Otherwise, politicians against congestion pricing own the narrative.

Last edited:
Also, I would love to see better use of technology to give buses some kind of signal control/privileges. For example, why couldn't a transponder on a bus relayed to the traffic light cause it to say green longer, or a red light change to allow a waiting bus through.
Good news: you've just described Transit Signal Priority, which is in use right now at hundreds of intersections across the city.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-29_15-55-23.png
    upload_2018-9-29_15-55-23.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 694
  • upload_2018-9-29_15-55-45.png
    upload_2018-9-29_15-55-45.png
    218.1 KB · Views: 745
  • upload_2018-9-29_15-56-7.png
    upload_2018-9-29_15-56-7.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 698
  • upload_2018-9-29_15-57-2.png
    upload_2018-9-29_15-57-2.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 751
  • upload_2018-9-29_15-57-26.png
    upload_2018-9-29_15-57-26.png
    233.5 KB · Views: 718
2030 for the completion of the entire redevelopment?

I bet it will be quicker, once the condos begin selling, unless they are phasing to reduce the cost of labour.

Back