Toronto Galleria On The Park | 143.86m | 42s | Almadev | Hariri Pontarini

In the mail today - Community Consultation on December 4, 2017 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm:
20171120_173324_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20171120_173324_HDR.jpg
    20171120_173324_HDR.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 651
It looked to me like a couple hundred people showed up last night. Lots of boards to look at, and people to talk to from the City or the development team. There was a video fly through of the massing. I asked if they would release it, but was told they still consider it a work in process, so, not yet.

What was new to me was this phasing plan:

PhasingPlan.jpg

Attachments

• PhasingPlan.jpg
    PhasingPlan.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,357
It looked to me like a couple hundred people showed up last night. Lots of boards to look at, and people to talk to from the City or the development team. There was a video fly through of the massing. I asked if they would release it, but was told they still consider it a work in process, so, not yet.

What was new to me was this phasing plan:

View attachment 129328

The Master Plan was submitted to the City on November 27th. At the back of that plan was this phasing you are speaking of. It is very interesting that we will see substantial changes/ development throughout the next few years right up to 2030.

It was also confirmed that all of the designs are purely conceptual and the expectation is that multiple firms will be brought in to design the buildings.

An HPA architect said that they're looking to get the chance to design of at least one of them, and were optimistic they might get that opportunity in the first phase, with one or both of the buildings on the northwest corner of the site.

Also, the city will be managing the design and consultation process for the park and community centre as a separate concern from the rest of the development.

The current thinking is that construction on the new community centre will commence once the two phase one buildings reach grade. The City is insisting on there being no point in time at which there is no community centre in operation, so the existing one will stay open until the new one is complete. They're still in the midst of negotiating the land swap that would make that plan possible.

This is an interesting notion:

While several Panel members appreciated that the site was organized such that the massing stepped down towards the existing residential areas, a few members wondered if the massing should instead be inversed. These members noted that such an inversion would allow for "landmark towers" at the corners of the site, with one member commenting that placing a landmark building at the existing street junction could be a way to respond to the "crank in Dupont". The Panel felt that putting the density north of the proposed Wallace Emerson Park in the south seemed to work well, but that a corresponding new type of urban gesture should also occur at the residual band of buildings along the north side of Dupont Street.

Docs were resubmitted on March 2. Down to 2,846 units now.

Here's where things stand on the building heights and massing:
upload_2018-3-20_11-10-27.png

The master plan also doesn't seem to have changed since the last consult:
upload_2018-3-20_11-12-23.png

^ Points Plaza is proposed to be a PoPS; The Mews pedestrian-only with retail

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-20_11-10-27.png
    upload_2018-3-20_11-10-27.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 612
  • upload_2018-3-20_11-12-23.png
    upload_2018-3-20_11-12-23.png
    535.2 KB · Views: 631
From Bailao; mods, perhaps we'll want a new thread for the community centre?

Public Open House: Vision for the New Wallace Emerson Community Centre and Park Master Plan

As part of the Galleria Mall site redevelopment process, I have been working to expand the size of Wallace Emerson Park by more than 25% and double the size of the Wallace Emerson Community Centre, which will include a new child care facility for our community. The expanded park and new community centre will be an exciting project that will enhance our community for generations to come.

As the City begins the design process for the new community centre, childcare facility and Park Master Plan, we need your input! Please join me, City staff and the Reimagine Galleria project team for a Visioning Session and Open House on Thursday, April 26 at 6:30 p.m. at the Galleria Mall (1245 Dupont Street) so you can share your ideas and feedback. An optional walking tour of Wallace Emerson Park will be held starting promptly at 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 26. The walking tour will start at the Reimagine Galleria storefront (between the Happy Bakery and LCBO at the Galleria Mall).

Date: Thursday, April 26th, 2018
Start Time: Walking Tour (optional) 6:00 p.m.
Open House: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Galleria Mall (Old Zellers Store) 1245 Dupont Street

If you have any questions or are unable to attend this meeting, but would like to share your ideas, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 416-392-7012, or councillor_bailao@toronto.ca.

They should find a way to straighten Dupont St by running it underneath the development area. Then buy up or partener with the existing owners next to railroad to extend the development to the railway. Having access to build a future GO Station right into the development like 2280 Dundas West does. Making this development even bigger!

They should find a way to straighten Dupont St by running it underneath the development area. Then buy up or partener with the existing owners next to railroad to extend the development to the railway. Having access to build a future GO Station right into the development like 2280 Dundas West does. Making this development even bigger!

Good luck with that.

I like the jog there because it's virtually the only stretch of Dupont where the road design forces drivers to slow down a bit; the rest is a drag strip.

That said, I definitely think it's worthwhile to think about ways to make development possible along that northern stretch, though the potential is presumably limited by the OMB crash wall/rail corridor setback settlement.

Back