Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

In fairness, it's worthy of discussion. Respect for animals as well as humans is an integral part of creating a sustainable city.

I do think that instead of mods kicking these (important) discussions out of threads, that threads should be created in Toronto Issues for each of these discussions. (i.e. The Glass Towers debate; FLAP Program/ Bird protection debate; etc. etc.).

DSCF8579-2.jpg

Sorry for the re-post (of the picture) but where was this taken from exactly ?

Does it ever! I love that photo too... the diversity of architecture in its background and the intriguing "jug" statue in the park are very interesting.

What amazes me is that a hotel as pretigious as this doesn't have exterior rooftop lighting--the same can be said for a plethora of buildings in the city. How is anyone supposed to identify it when it has no logo or lighting to distinguish it from its surroundings? It just fades into the darkness, like most buildings in this city. Why are we so reluctant to light buildings up? Enough of the FLAP/light pollution excuses.

FLAP is an important concern, but I agree that architectural lighting is critical because the character of our city is lost at night without architectural lighting. Historic buildings should always be lit up, but most are not. A lot of buildings have architectural lighting that has been switched off or completely neglected. Some historic buildings have ugly orange lighting from the 1970s that should be modernized.

FLAP is an important concern, but I agree that architectural lighting is critical because the character of our city is lost at night without architectural lighting. Historic buildings should always be lit up, but most are not. A lot of buildings have architectural lighting that has been switched off or completely neglected. Some historic buildings have ugly orange lighting from the 1970s that should be modernized.

I find it hard to believe that just because the birds head to the lake, that they only fly over downtown. Wouldn't the ones in the east end, and west of downtown, avoid the highrises in the core?

And what would prevent building owners/landlords from turning exterior lighting off, or dimming it, during migration season? It makes no sense for our buildings to be unlit, at all times, because of an event that lasts a few weeks a year. You're right about the character of the city being lost at night. Toronto is utterly depressing at night, in my opinion. The dark buildings and streets give the city a cold, sometimes, eerie feeling. It's pathetic that a building like Old City Hall isn't adorned with decorative lighting. How did we go from caring so much about architecture, aesthetics, and our general public realm, to almost entire neglect? What makes this city so exclusively uninterested in its own image? Sorry for the rant--I'm just sick of the indifference to such things. And when lighting is suggested for our older buildings, and office towers/hotels, etc. people always find some excuse to justify our collective apathy. If it's not FLAP, then there's the 'light pollution'--'we can't see the stars' reason--as well as. You can barely see the stars in the suburbs either. That's part of living in a city. I guess our general obsessive energy saving attitude plays a role as well... Like lighting up our buildings will unleash the destructive force of Mount St. Helens into our atmosphere.

Last edited:
While I want our buildings and city to be aesthetic pleasing and interesting, I also think it has to be balanced with other concerns. I don't want birds needlessly dying - they're important to our ecosystem and "light pollution" isn't only about not seeing the stars at night - its wastefuly of energy and all the ambient lighting at night isn't good - it throws off our natural body rythms. I have to have blackout curtains at night to in order for my room to be dark because there is so much light on the street from street lamps, buildings, electric bill boards, traffic etc. Frankly I think the Four Seasons is one of the few new towers that really lived up to its hype (there a few things I think they could have done better - but overall its impressive, elegant building - and I don't think having it lit up at night would really add anything more.

It's such a dark gloomy entrance. Hopefully in the summer the flowers and plants will brighten the place up a little.

No qualms with the towers...

...but really, has there ever been a less-appealing entry to a high end property? No proportion, no grace, no sensibility to basic human aesthetic values. Even more off-putting is that the whole space is illogical. That awning does nothing to protect guests (as the photo with rain above shows), and the space - though ostensibly a piazza where guests could be admired and admire - is utterly unwelcoming.

Pathetic.

That seems a bit much. And how does the awning not protect guests? From wind?

Not quite fair to expect the place to be that warm and inviting when it's that cold and snowy. It could use some planters at the front door perhaps and maybe we'll see some in the summer.

Back