Toronto Forward Condos at Concord CityPlace | 94.48m | 30s | Concord Adex | P + S / IBI

The building itself is being demolished and replaced with a condo if I recall correctly though. A shame, but their new brewery and store location are very close to where I work which is fantastic.

whatever is going to happen to the Amsterdam Brewery? I guess I should hope it stays as is to preserve some sliver of red brick heritage in this sea of glass...

The Amsterdam Brewery has now gone - the building is now an empty shell, with much of the interior already gutted. GreenPro Demolition has equipment on the site.

Shame to see the building go, presumably it'll be entirely gone soon. That said I did check out Amsterdam's new location in Leaside; it wasn't even finished but I managed to score some bottles of Tempest Imperial Stout. Woo!

Gee, this has not been posted yet for this project
From city planning, July 12/2012............

511 BREMNER BLVD
Site Plan Approval 12 210557 STE 20 SA Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Jul 12, 2012 --- --- Residential Apartments Prejel, Marian
(416) 392-9337
BLOCK 37 - Site plan approval application for construction 3 of new mixed use residential building with retail at grade - (CC, DD and EE) - Buildings CC and EE have Common Podium. Building CC - 30 stories - 316 residential units, Building DD - 8 stories - 60 residential units, Building EE 18 Stories - 205 Residential units - All 3 buildings have common parking garage - 4 levels below grade parking - 419 Parking Spaces. - 597 Bicycle parking spaces

To bad they couldn't do this here like this one that I saw in Geneva this summer.

The patio was busy and full when I shot this photo.

8130188005_12ca406582_b.jpg

Looks like quite the place in that shot, the closest we have to that is Mill Street's brew pub in the Distillery. Along with their new retail shop and brewery Amsterdam is opening up a waterfront restaurant, but I'm not sure if there will be actual brewing operations there.

Looks like quite the place in that shot, the closest we have to that is Mill Street's brew pub in the Distillery. Along with their new retail shop and brewery Amsterdam is opening up a waterfront restaurant, but I'm not sure if there will be actual brewing operations there.

No brewing there, but it will have an onsite beer store open extended hours to the public

Brooklyn Brewery in Williamsburg also has retail/tours/beer hall and is popular as both a tourist attraction and local hang out. It's a real pity to lose the opportunity to do something similar with the old Amsterdam Brewery building.

More warehouses disappear.

Indeed. I think it's way past time to sound the alarm over how much of Toronto's rich industrial built heritage is being erased at worst and compromised (through facadectomies and so on) at best. I am not convinced Adam Vaughan, in whose ward so much of it lies, is putting a stop to much of this--though I think he's an exemplary councillor in many respects.

In the case of the Amsterdam brewery, why does it have to go? While this area has never had a cohesive aesthetic, a structure like this could have served as an appealing amenity space/restaurant/community centre/whatever that would remind residents of the new towers of what was there before. I'm thinking as a model of the Roundhouse by Cityplace's Vancouver cousin, which has been preserved and renovated, and adds a bit of warmth to the condo canyons there. Another missed opportunity.

Too bad Cityplace didn't extend some kind of lease offer to Amsterdam to keep it in the neighbourhood.
I think one of the two large retail space at Parade under the bridge would be a great location, and will more life and activity there though it will need to rely on the connection of Fort York to Bathurst to ease the congestion at the Spadina intersection.

Back