Toronto Form Condos | 50.59m | 14s | Tridel | a—A

Xray:

Not an art appraiser or in the loop myself, so take my words with a grain of salt- According to various published sources, he is reputed to have the largest collection of John Constable, in addition to works by Picasso and others.

AoD

I dunno....kind of slabtastic.....and totally devoid of the kind of whimsy that makes OCAD so great....

AlbertC, not to nitpick but he had typed it the way you just corrected him for in the first place. re read

That's because Xray corrected the spelling afterwards, as seen in the reason for edit comment. Alvin had also misspelled the last name. But now we're just dwelling on this for too long. Perhaps time to move on.

It's handsome. I like the subtle curves in the exterior.

Last edited:
I'm not very familiar with the world art scene. Would having Mirvish's and the Thomsons' art on display here in Toronto have the effect of elevating the city in terms of a cultural destination that would actually register?

If its true that he has the world’s largest collection of John Constable (which I find a bit hard to believe) its certainly a big deal, but not in a sexy Bilbao kind of way. Constable is certainly very important, but we are talking about one of the greatest English landscape painters. Not exactly Matthew Barney or Jeff Koons. In other words, I’m afraid most casual observers will (sadly) find Constable kind of dull. However for hardcore art lovers it would be a very major contribution to the city. Certainly vastly more important than the Henry Moore collection at the AGO.

Mirvish's collection isn't all that big a deal, as the kind of work he collects, American postwar abstraction, is already pretty well represented at the AGO, and its not a particularly loved genre of painting. Much of it is pretty dated.

If you have been back to the front page story today, you will see that in fact the design created by Drew Mandel Architects is not the one that Osmington / the Thomsons are moving forward with.

PS - I'll also chime in regarding the Macdonald Block: That's one of the very best complexes in the city, and yes, I like the aA slab being presented here. It reminds me of the Colonnade as well, another building I love.

Back