Toronto Flaire | 40.23m | 11s | Cadillac Fairview | Giannone Petricone

22861135780_025e4a63af_h.jpg

23130784146_04e3d803d7_h.jpg

23130819026_56d320cda5_h.jpg

22861133660_1859c0c679_h.jpg

Should be 1 more floor until the south tower is topped out. I'm liking how the street wall is forming along The Donway W. It'll be even better once the lot to the immediate north is developed. It's too bad Shops at Don Mills has that horrible above ground parking garage. It would make more sense to bury it and develop that massive chunk of land. Plenty more retail and restaurants could fit on it, along with condos/office space.

Ha, I was just going to post pics of the same thing.

Interesting to see that they are going with metal instead of all glass. Reminds me of the balconies going up on the rental buildings on Davisville.

I guess they're testing out different balcony treatments? I prefer the one without the glass.

It's too bad the glass isn't curved curtain wall. That would look excellent.

If you're going to look modern this is the way to do it! Too many box looking building structures in Toronto. This building would look great by the lake front!

The retail streetscapes and condos at the Shops of Don Mills look great. It actually looks like a slice of a downtown core rather than some contrived faux-urban shopping centre in the 'burbs. The retail streets are great--wide sidewalks, narrow roadways and a lot of landscaping features like trees, ornamental street lights, benches and pavers. One day, I'd like to see the single storey retail buildings replaced with multistorey mixed use buildings.

The retail streetscapes and condos at the Shops of Don Mills look great. It actually looks like a slice of a downtown core rather than some contrived faux-urban shopping centre in the 'burbs. The retail streets are great--wide sidewalks, narrow roadways and a lot of landscaping features like trees, ornamental street lights, benches and pavers. One day, I'd like to see the single storey retail buildings replaced with multistorey mixed use buildings.
The landscaping is terrible. The planters are full of sad looking shrubs that don't even fill the space they're planted in. They should be filled with flowers in the summer. Also, it would be nice to remove the roads cutting through the shops and make the area entirely pedestrian. The parking lot was also a terrible idea (not sure why that wasn't buried).

The landscaping is terrible. The planters are full of sad looking shrubs that don't even fill the space they're planted in. They should be filled with flowers in the summer. Also, it would be nice to remove the roads cutting through the shops and make the area entirely pedestrian. The parking lot was also a terrible idea (not sure why that wasn't buried).

I meant that the streetscapes are attractive overall, even if there are some elements that are lacking. I like the roads. They give the area the character of an urban shopping area in the city rather than a mere outdoor mall. The public square is animated with performances in the summer, and there are restaurants that front onto it.

The office conversion is okay but, the first newly constructed tower is just terrible. Looks like these will turn out decent. None give the impression of downtown. The porte cochere takes up half the site. It's one of the better looking open air retail establishments in the city which isn't saying much. It's too artificial/ masterplanned.

These retail shops are all owned by the same landlord, no? Assuming so, I'm less optimistic that the area will mature organically into something approximating a slice of downtown. If the parcels were divided and individually sold, its not imagine the architecture and retail options becoming more diversified over time as tenants move in and out and the units are renovated or rebuilt at different times and in different styles. With Cadillac Fairview at the helm of the whole thing, though, my guess it will retain the feel of an outdoor mall.

These retail shops are all owned by the same landlord, no? Assuming so, I'm less optimistic that the area will mature organically into something approximating a slice of downtown. If the parcels were divided and individually sold, its not imagine the architecture and retail options becoming more diversified over time as tenants move in and out and the units are renovated or rebuilt at different times and in different styles. With Cadillac Fairview at the helm of the whole thing, though, my guess it will retain the feel of an outdoor mall.

Even if it doesn't mature organically, that doesn't preclude an interesting urban area. For instance, CF can renovate and densify some parts of the complex but not others, resulting in buildings of different heights, uses and styles along one streetscape.

Back