Toronto First Parliament Site | ?m | ?s

Here's the response I got to my emails...

On April 15, 2015, the Trust entered into a new four-year lease with Infiniti
Downtown\Nissan Downtown as an interim measure while discussions, planning and
fundraising for the long-term revitalization of the Parliament block are underway. This
lease is fixed-term, with no roll over or extension provisions. The City is also temporarily
leasing its properties on the Parliament block while longer-term plans are in
development. To the Trust’s knowledge, no projects or timelines will be affected by
these short-term activities.

Revenues from the lease will allow the Trust to fund new activities that continue to
share and promote the history of the site. These plans will be rolled out over 2015 and
include the online version of the Foundations & Fire exhibit, ongoing activities such as
lectures and tours, and outdoor signs and multi-media installations that will animate the
public spaces on the block. The Trust is in discussions with the City and looks forward
to exciting opportunities for collaboration as we move forward with the next phase in the
interpretation of this important site.

There's a team of guys drilling core samples this morning at the south east corner of the parking lot next to the pedestrian pathway between Parliament and Berkeley.

First time noticing this thread.

Is there a reason why a thread of a pre-construction site without any building renders has 30 pages?

What is the importance of this site and what is coming here?

First time noticing this thread.

Is there a reason why a thread of a pre-construction site without any building renders has 30 pages?

What is the importance of this site and what is coming here?

If you are interested in the First Parliament site and want to know what is planned perhaps you might want to scroll back a few pages and read what is there?

If you are interested in the First Parliament site and want to know what is planned perhaps you might want to scroll back a few pages and read what is there?
I was hoping for a TL;DR of 30 pages.

30 pages is a quite a lot for an aforementioned undeveloped site with no renders, not to mention in my experience when an undeveloped site gets this many pages it usually means the design and owner has likely changed dramatically and multiple times over the years meaning the most up-to-date information is likely not in the first 5 or so pages I would be willing to read. The database page doesn't have any information either beyond "an institutional building".

I was hoping for a TL;DR of 30 pages.

30 pages is a quite a lot for an aforementioned undeveloped site with no renders, not to mention in my experience when an undeveloped site gets this many pages it usually means the design and owner has likely changed dramatically and multiple times over the years meaning the most up-to-date information is likely not in the first 5 or so pages I would be willing to read. The database page doesn't have any information either beyond "an institutional building".

There are several links in the pages above and include three on this page: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news.html

Apart from the fact that no architect has been selected, there are no renderings yet because the environmental work continues and until it is clear where the worst of the pollution is it is not possible to say where buildings could/should go. It is also necessary to avoid building on top of the archaeological remains (or, at least, to do so in away they can be seen.) The basic idea is to build a District Library and some sort of heritage centre along Front Street with open space south of them running into the existing Parliament Square Park.

I'm not sure where planning on the library and the park is at the moment—last I heard the planning was supposed to take place this year with work going ahead in 2018 or 2019—but when they get going again, I'd like to see the library named for Pam McConnell. Or possibly rename a community facility at Regent Park for her, maybe even Berczy Park (we'd finally all be able to agree on how to pronounce it).

I am very sorry we have lost Pam. No-one on Council was more dedicated to her work. There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it there for now.

I'm not sure where planning on the library and the park is at the moment—last I heard the planning was supposed to take place this year with work going ahead in 2018 or 2019—but when they get going again, I'd like to see the library named for Pan McConnell. Or possibly rename a community facility at Regent Park for her, maybe even Berczy Park (we'd finally all be able to agree on how to pronounce it).

I am very sorry we have lost Pam. No-one on Council was more dedicated to her work. There's a lot more I could say, but I'll leave it there for now.

I agree with renaming something after her to recognize her service to the city, but I want this project to properly commemorate the first parliament site and that era of our history. Naming the library after someone of our time would undermine the commemoration of the site's history by shifting the focus to someone who has little or no connection to the first parliament.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might not be the best thread but I couldn't find a better one. Anyone know the latest on the First Parliament Site? I checked the City's website and there is no further update beyond the 2018 consultations:

This might not be the best thread but I couldn't find a better one. Anyone know the latest on the First Parliament Site? I checked the City's website and there is no further update beyond the 2018 consultations:

I heard from the Master Plan team last week that a public meeting is coming fairly soon.

Last edited:
Receive this by email. RSVP link here and the outreach kit here. City's webpage with meeting details here.

Back