Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Construction platforms, similar to those used in brick laying will run off of a central column affixed to the side of the building. You are seeing the prep work for that column. The video on the Redefining First website shows how it will all come together.

"I'd have been happier from a ( grits teeth ... ) "heritage" point of view to see the slow recladding continued"

By the time the 'slow reclading' were finished, we'd have a tower with an entirely new set of dingy, discoloured ugly tiles.

i know replacing the marble with glass is the right thing to do (from an economic, environmental, and practical perspective). but you must admire an architect and city that approves of a massive skyscraper built out of italian marble. that just screams class.

but anyway, i'm sure the new tower will look great. i have some friends and relatives who work in FCP (as high as the 52nd floor) and i'll try to get some pics on the board.

i hope the marble is given away (not likely). let's just pave the roads and sidewalks of university avenue in stone! now that's a grande boulevard.

So is that the West side that they're preparing first? I wonder if they're going to do one side at a time with a single bridge across one façade or all at once with a stage surrounding the building.

Similar activity is happening on the east side. Haven't checked the north as yet.

Last edited:
Yes they will be doing this on all sides.

No, I'm pretty sure they'll be doing this to sides facing Lake Ontario and the west. That way FCP will look picture perfect in postcards, and the property owner can save ca$h by not doing the other two sides.

:eek:

In any case, a much overdue project. I just wish the antennas at the top could be cleaned up in some way. Maybe two equal in size and look antennas? The current form takes away from the look of the building.

FCP from my POV. Marble removal can be seen on the east side around the top 10 floors and it looks like they're working from the bottom up on the north side if you look just a touch to the right of Cadillac Fairview tower, but I could be wrong there.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

In any case, a much overdue project. I just wish the antennas at the top could be cleaned up in some way. Maybe two equal in size and look antennas? The current form takes away from the look of the building.

Just to play devil's advocate and share my view of it, but one benefit of the current antennae is that they contrast with the tower, and really make you notice its clean lines even more by contrast.

---

As for the marble coming off in that image above, just to the right of 250 Yonge, I am going to hope you're right. That's what it looks like to me.

Just to play devil's advocate and share my view of it, but one benefit of the current antennae is that they contrast with the tower, and really make you notice its clean lines even more by contrast.

---

As for the marble coming off in that image above, just to the right of 250 Yonge, I am going to hope you're right. That's what it looks like to me.

The tiles were removed pretty quickly from the west side so if the north side is indeed being done I'll see it as they move up by early to mid next week, weather permitting & post an update.
Your correct, that is 250 Yonge, not Cadillac Fairview at 20 Queen W. (my bad!)

Last edited:
i hope the marble is given away (not likely). let's just pave the roads and sidewalks of university avenue in stone! now that's a grande boulevard.

I don't think marble would fare well enough under tires and oil drips (and snowplows) to be considered for roads.

But what a great idea to use it for sidewalks, pedestrian thoroughfares and public squares!

I'm surprised how similar it'll look after the change. The colour won't change ( except at the corners ), the windows won't change, the number of floors won't change, the proportions won't change.

This may be a stupid question but is there any chance that the new bronze panels could turn green after many years? I'm just thinking about how the tops of older buildings look green but I'm not sure how long that takes.

Back