Toronto Finch West LRT and TYSSE: Finch West Station | ?m | ?s | Mosiac TG | Arup

They ruined it. Why does everything in this city have to turn out gray for fucks sake.

On the bright side it won't look out of place in the area. The original plan would have put a giant purple OCAD in the middle of bland suburban Toronto, next to an industrial airport, and warehouses. Now it can blend into its surroundings. I think if the sculpted columns are executed properly, this can be a pretty decent complex.

I hope they saved money with this design, though, so it wasn't all for nothing. It definitely doesn't scream "memorable architecture" anymore.

Whyyy?!? Whyy?

It's as if someone said "that's too colourful and loud", so instead they went with the most colourless and depressing thing possible, lol.

There are even less trees in the new rendering.

Why every projects in Toronto had to be cheaped out for f*** sake!

seriously, how can one even call this a design? Robarts is a pretty out-there example of brutalism, but it is certainly unique. This revised design reminds me of a gun emplacement on the beaches of Normandy, not a 21st-century transit station.

Is this thing supposed to be a fist wielding a spear, or am I looking at it wrong?

ljfy0Up.jpg

Hmm, I actually kind of like it. When's the last time you saw a new building clad in raw concrete? It's big and monumental and muscular, a hulking chunk of concrete held up by rakish columns. Very much mid-century modern, even down to the amber floors. Just wait... I bet the result will be impressive.

Is this thing supposed to be a fist wielding a spear, or am I looking at it wrong?
I was getting a very Soviet monument vibe off of that. Kinda like a fist holding the hammer.

Honestly, I also like it. Now it stands out from the other stations through its minimalism. Before, all of the stations were very noisy, almost competing with each other for attention.

I don't think I'd want all the stations to be brutalist slabs, but just the one stands as a nice contrast.

Also, it insulates the Spadina Extension from falling out of architectural favour. It's likely that Millennial Gauche will be considered, well, gauche in 20-30 years (sorry OCAD), but by having a large variety of architecture, it keeps at least some of the stations in favour at any given time.

Back