Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

fc5.jpg

fc1.jpg

We're not totally in the dark as to what the likely cladding on Widmer will be, but it looks like the exterior of the cinema is: the auditoriums will be clad in varying shades of black - - - something. On King Street the strips of black cladding will be interspersed with a few glowing vertical bands lit from behind, so there's a good chance that treatment will be continued on Widmer.

In terms of a make-or-break, well, the side that is going to get the most views - King Street - has lots to look at. The renders don't have me worried at all. What is there to worry about here?

What is there to worry about? You're joking right? I think we all know about the cheapening.
We also know that renders 99.9% of the time look better than the results.
The materials used will make a huge difference. If the lighting from behind actually happens, or if it will just end up being white panels. We will just have to wait and see for that.

Right now, only the renderfans and rendercelebs know anything for sure.

Well, it's true they are about $50 Mil behind in their fundraising...

maybe it'll and end up being clad in insulbrick.

The podium is getting done by the same company that's doing the Maple Leaf Square podium, so it wouldn't surprise me if that white tile is the same composite material as what was used on MLS's hotel side, but with a white finish this time

drove by this tonight, and there has been quite a bit of progress on the podium.....quite imposing, and they've got it lit up at ground level...

Check out the back side of Light Box. All those different compartments make it rather interesting.
12DEC10-08049.jpg

The back side, seems to be more interesting than the front, at this point. I love all the different spaces.

13DEC10-08051.jpg

Last edited:
This Flickr photo by ghettojack found on SSC as posted by Skybean shows the individual cinemas very clearly:

3093617381_1110dc8d51_b.jpg

Last edited:
FYI ... I think they've kicked up a few notches on site.

They're making tons of progress daily now. It's changing daily ... as opposed to the weeks on weeks with no *apparent* change < note apparent.

This picture reminds me of how much I hate that appt building at the south-west corner of Grange Park. It takes up so much space for something so, so ugly.

Huh! What's gotten in to you, Sniffy?!

What can I say? Opportunity knocked. No offense to S&M's mama. Besides, he's right: that commie block in the grange really needs to go.

Back