Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I believe that TIFFG'S other programmes and festivals will use the facility's theatres year round. ie Sprockets

I think all of their programs - Talk Cinema, Cinematheque will run out of there. I'd be suprised if all 5 of the cinemas planned (of various sizes) will be operating at the same time outside the festival.

There are dozens of film festivals in Toronto which could potentially use the cinemas and facilities there keeping the place hopping year 'round.

Ground-level Floorplan from the Globe Video (thanks Rdaner).

1390269795_f99769c92d.jpg

Excavation complete save for the vehicle ramp. Quite the massive hole. Six underground levels. Crane preparation underway.

Are all those underground levels for parking only? This building could/should be part of PATH, which currently ends kitty corner to it, at Metro Hall.

Here are some pics that really don't do justice to the massiveness of this hole. Reminds me of shooting the Opera House excavation Those are huge pieces of equipment down there that just look like dinkey car toys.

Sorry for quality of shots, but I'm still getting used to the iPhone ;-)

[edit - had to resize 'em quite low to inline attach through vB sw)

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 214
That large exhibition space on the ground floor looks inviting, even to those of us who aren't big moviegoers, with the possibility of organizing and hosting travelling shows - like the Hitchcock exhibition that the Montreal Museum of Fine Art organized several years ago that passed Toronto by.

I think that in the fullness of time this is going to turn out to be one of the city's best cultural facilities. As I recall when the program for Lightbox was being developed they were saying that while there are a few other interesting film centres around the world (eg the BFI in London) no other facility would combine all the functions that this will--screening, exhibition/archive/library, etc. I can see it being a real hub of activity, especially as someone mentioned with the enormous number of festivals that few people realise are operated under the aegis of TIFF.

I wonder what will become of Jackman Hall now that Cinematheque will be at Lightbox? Is it doomed to be obliterated as part of the inevitable AGO pahse 2 expansion, in which a Gehry-Alsop dream team will cantilever a titanium swoop over McCaul linked to the police station forecourt with an orange corrugated metal spiral staircase?

The iPhone works in Canada? Which network?

Sadly not Bell or we'd be less off-topic :) The US-spec iPhone works great with Rogers/Fido after an unlock, which is now easy to do, free, and - unlike my painful process - requires no disassembly (software-based).

PM me if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help and don't want to clutter the forum too much.

I agree the PATH should be connected to this building.

Anyone know how many cranes are going to be used for the construction? I'm guessing two.

Back