Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

I'm happy with the logical distinction that's been made - the condo tower relates to the other contemporary condo towers that have gone up around town lately by fitting in with the generally understated neo-modernist "look", and the podium Lightbox has more in common with the other cultural buildings that have been built recently by standing out as something unique.

All this new-found high praise for TIFF is going to go to Caltrane74's head. I'm not sure, but judging by all of his posts in this thread and over at SSP, I think he either designed this building or he owns it. Either way, he has been championing TIFF for months.

I myself, will go on the "Nay" side of the new balcony glass. Just a personal preference, but I don't like the grey-ish cast it gives the building. It's starting to remind me of something Bell Canada would have constructed in the suburbs in the 70s/80s. Something around Scarborough Town Centre. You know that 70's attempt to look all futuristic.

I know I am going against what mckarsima just said a while back and I am jumping to conclusions but I am just sayin'

People are, and will continue to disparage (gonna have to spell check my french there..) this tower, some complained that the design was too simple, yet had something daring been proposed, designed or constructed all hell would have broken out anyways. There are those that wouldn't have believed that a tower outside the box does not fit into the context (or mold) of Toronto. You can't win'em all. Designers know that, cityplanners know that also. Some people will like it and others wont. I'm just glad that in my mind and looking at the other towers of similar scale going up in the city, right now, this one is my favorite.

Don't own it or anything in it, but will be happy to see it front and centre on the international stage with the cameras of the worlds media focuing in on it as they do there man on the street reporting from King and John and above. Should really make a good impression of subtle and refined class, which I think is very Toronto.

I agree,

Caltrane is probably Festival Towers #1 Fan!

But i see how he really likes this building! Its podium is fantastic (and huge) and the building itself is gonna be pretty tall/sweet!

Festival IMO is not my favourite building but its definitely one to keep an eye out for! Its got a lot going for it! :D

Just yankin' yer chain Cal. LOL

You have been very vocal on the appeal of TIFF all along and I will give you your props for your steadfast loyalty, all through its growing phases.

I'm sure it will look lovely on E! channel or Entertainment Tonight, dressed in all its finest, with banks of searchlights lighting the heavens above, heralding the center of the universe for Hollywood once a year.

I'm happy with the logical distinction that's been made - the condo tower relates to the other contemporary condo towers that have gone up around town lately by fitting in with the generally understated neo-modernist "look", and the podium Lightbox has more in common with the other cultural buildings that have been built recently by standing out as something unique.
I think you have summed this up perfectly, US. But there is definitely integration between the two elements, which can especially be seen on east side towards the south where the vertical glass wall runs from the 2nd floor up.

I myself, will go on the "Nay" side of the new balcony glass. Just a personal preference, but I don't like the grey-ish cast it gives the building. It's starting to remind me of something Bell Canada would have constructed in the suburbs in the 70s/80s. Something around Scarborough Town Centre. You know that 70's attempt to look all futuristic.

Actually, that "all futuristic" thing Bell built SW of Scarborough Town Centre is one of my favourite unsung 70s landmarks in the 416. (I think it's some Shore Tilbe high-tech thing.)

Last edited:
It may have been designed as a 46 stories originally, but that doesn't mean it will end up as 46 stories. Whatever the city documents say is what we'll end up with.

4 Feb 2010:

dsc00376j.jpg

dsc00380y.jpg

I've decided I like this building, but think its main flaw is the wrong setting for this architectural style/massing. It would fit in better in the Yonge/Bloor area, or perhaps near Dundas Square. Here, it overwhelms the red brick 'hood. The second anti-urban crime committed is the blank wall facing Widmer--glass at street level would've made a nice cafe corner.

Last edited:
That corner reminds me of the Four Seasons center to a certain degree.

At this point, I think there's just too much going with this building. Hopefully it'll all come together. Right now, I prefer the back of the podium to front. Thanks for the pics, udreamer.

It's a condo tower on top of a 'minimalist' entertainment center. Kind of like if the Four Seasons Centre plopped a tower on top. Lots of bare walls facing the street with that one too, but unfortunately, the architect can say that it's what's on the inside that matters.

I've decided I like this building, but think its main flaw is the wrong setting for this architectural style/massing. It would fit in better in the Yonge/Bloor area, or perhaps near Dundas Square. Here, it overwhelms the red brick 'hood. The second anti-urban crime committed is the blank wall facing Widmer--glass at street level would've made a nice cafe corner.

I agree that it doesn't fit the existing context, but this is probably the most rapidly changing area of the city. The existing context is relatively low rise, but within the next 5 years or so the neighbourhood should be unrecognizable in a way that would favour this sort of architectural massing. Whether or not that direction is for the better is another topic altogether, but I think all the projects planned in the immediate area should help with its current contextual flaws.

Last edited:

Back