Toronto Fashion District Lofts | ?m | 10s | Freed | Core Architects

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
This one seemed to fly under the radar. I found it biking along King Street today.

Website

Fash1.jpg

Fash2.jpg

I've been watching this go up all winter. it's finally above ground, which means it should start to rise pretty quickly. also, if you go just a bit west to bathurst, you'll find 550 wellington is under way, (just south of king & bathurst.) as well, the project just across the street from it is about half way done, and the reno condo project down at the bottom of bathurst is rising quickly as well. all and all, the stretch on king from spadina to bathurst is changing rapidly. and looking the better for it.

I think it replaced an auto body shop.

"Mode" is to be east of this project, half a block or so past Brandt.

This is certainly one of the most interesting areas for redevelopment. King East and King West have seen some very solid, mid rise buildings that seem to work very well. it is certainly a welcome change from the type of development at City Place, the waterfront, or other high-rise clusters.

There's a nice little park across the street from this project...Its becoming a very desireable neighbourhood pretty quickly

A couple of spas opened up in that neighbourhood as well. From what I heard, the one on Adelaide features a pool of green tea. It for women only.

like how it will soon completely block the billboard (now if only something drastic could be done to the cold storeage facility on its west side)

^I agree. We lust after these types of updates.

Thanks so much!

Oh, and congratulation on the purchase. It's a great area still evolving.

In real danger of taking this thread off topic, Cabeman, has Freed treated you well so far?

Hello all, and thanks for the welcome! I've been enjoying the various threads here for a few months and noticed that photos are being included more and more so I thought I'd put a few up (I added some to the 22 Wellesley and Uptown sections as well). I'm fascinated with the way sites evolve and occasionally take my camera when I'm out wandering around to catch the changes. I'll be putting a few more images up now that I've figured out how to do it. Maestro ... regarding the storage facility to the west, it won't likely be around much longer. The site runs all the way through to 570 King (2 municipal addresses, but the same owner). The City has approved redevelopment subject to conditions regarding the heritage building on King http://www.urbandb.com/canada/ontar...toronto_city_hall_staff_report_2006_04_23.pdf
and the development has already made its way through an OMB challenge by some of the neighbouring property owners (minor changes to the design were agreed upon). The map below shows the site outlined in blue. (I just traced the outline on a MS Live Search image). Probably a lot more information than you were looking for ... but I do tend to go off on tangents from time to time. Alklay .. this is my first time buying pre-construction (owned a condo before but it was resale) but I'd say I'm pretty happy with the process so far. I purchased in June/05 on the day sales opened to the public, and other than picking my finishes and upgrades a couple of months ago haven't had much else to do with them. The original building completion date has been pushed back from this September to May/08, but I was well aware that a lot of new projects are delayed and am not in any sort of bind over it.

570KingWaerial.jpg

Wow, that's a honkin' big proposal! The thing runs almost the whole block. I am wondering if they are going to get away with thirteen storeys as well. Whoever bought the townhomes (west side) on the ground floor of 455 Adelaide is in for a surprise. They may see the sun briefly if this new development goes up.

I admit that I am always a little concerned for this area. While there are some good developments in the vicinity, there is always a risk that there could be too many new developments so as to start overwhelming the overall look and feel of the neighbourhood.

Back