Toronto Fairview Mall Redevelopment Phase 1 | 180.2m | 52s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini

On the subject of Sears, what is being done with that space? (or do we even know at this point?)

I think there is some retail "parked" in that space right now. Looks like one of those generic dumping ground chains that offer low-quality clothing primarily marketed to teens. Unfortunately, they make you walk through it when you enter the mall from the subway.

I think there is some retail "parked" in that space right now. Looks like one of those generic dumping ground chains that offer low-quality clothing primarily marketed to teens. Unfortunately, they make you walk through it when you enter the mall from the subway.

I walked through it. It's a lot better than having to walk outside around the old Sears store. Fairview is a pretty good mall - a bit higher end than STC, and in a good spot for the kind of infill development CF is looking at.

I walked through it. It's a lot better than having to walk outside around the old Sears store. Fairview is a pretty good mall - a bit higher end than STC, and in a good spot for the kind of infill development CF is looking at.

STC is trying but they are starting to turn into a high end Asian mall catering to the local clientele. See the comb store, Muji, Asian restaurants and that Japanese store.

Fairview caters to the local euro/white clientele who happen to be slightly affluent.

STC is far from an "asian" dominated mall... at least not East Asian. The mall's demographics are probably some of the most diverse in the city.

STC is trying but they are starting to turn into a high end Asian mall catering to the local clientele. See the comb store, Muji, Asian restaurants and that Japanese store.

Fairview caters to the local euro/white clientele who happen to be slightly affluent.

Dude, you really need to walk through Fairview mall,.... and look at the "euro/white" VS visible minority proportion. There's so few "euro/white" who live in those 60 apartment & condo towers within 1km easy walking radius of Fairview Mall,.... "euro/white" are the area's visible minority!

What the hell mall am I thinking of then?

Once again, you're getting Fairview Mall mixed up with Sherway Gardens from the 90's,... when SherwayGardens had a Eaton & Holt - which were never at Fairview Mall. And SherwayGardens is the mall that you referenced as doing a mall renovation 10 years ago,.... which allowed much more needed sunlight into their mall.

Last edited:
Dude, you really need to walk through Fairview mall,.... and look at the "euro/white" VS visible minority proportion. There's so few "euro/white" who live in those 60 apartment & condo towers within 1km easy walking radius of Fairview Mall,.... "euro/white" are the area's visible minority!

Once again, you're getting Fairview Mall mixed up with Sherway Gardens from the 90's,... when SherwayGardens had a Eaton & Holt - which were never at Fairview Mall. And SherwayGardens is the mall that you referenced as doing a mall renovation 10 years ago,.... which allowed much more needed sunlight into their mall.

Actually when I went to Seneca from 2006-2011 they were doing renovations.

Actually when I went to Seneca from 2006-2011 they were doing renovations.

Back then, Fairview Mall moved food court, downsized Cineplex convert to more retail space in that wing and did trim work throughout the mall.

In the meantime, other regional malls like Yorkville was expanding by adding entire new wings, ditto for Scarborough Town Centre food court, new wing to Cineplex, Sherway Garden converting a dark tunnel like mall into one with natural sunlight throughout

Back then, Fairview Mall moved food court, downsized Cineplex convert to more retail space in that wing and did trim work throughout the mall.

In the meantime, other regional malls like Yorkville was expanding by adding entire new wings, ditto for Scarborough Town Centre food court, new wing to Cineplex, Sherway Garden converting a dark tunnel like mall into one with natural sunlight throughout

That makes sense. Sorry for being so difficult and confused.

Muji has multiple mall locations in the GTA, including a two-floor flagship at the Eaton Centre. I'm not sure what "that Japanese store" is, but the Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo also has multiple mall locations throughout the GTA.

Muji has multiple mall locations in the GTA, including a two-floor flagship at the Eaton Centre. I'm not sure what "that Japanese store" is, but the Japanese clothing retailer Uniqlo also has multiple mall locations throughout the GTA.

Sokushi Mart is the name of the Japanese store

No amount of renovations or construction will make this a destination. The mall is in an awkward spot and has low-level tenants. It was the place to be in the 90s when it had Eatons and Holts but those days are long gone.

I know of nobody that says we MUST go to Fairview Mall in the same way they say we MUST go to Yorkdale, The Eaton Centre or STC.

You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig.
You can't compare Fairview with Yorkdale, the Eaton Centre and STC. Those malls are twice the size of Fairview. The mall is actually very busy on the weekends although it's somewhat quiet on weekdays, just the opposite of the Eaton Centre.

As for Eaton's, you may have been thinking of Don Mills Shopping Centre (a few kms to the south) which did have one up until the '90s. There was no Holt Renfrew at Fairview, but there was a Harry Rosen for a few years on the second floor back in the '90s. I'm pretty sure about that because I was with someone that bought some items from there at the time.

Back