Toronto Fairview Mall Redevelopment Phase 1 | 180.2m | 52s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From a newsrelease from CF:

"Cadillac Fairview (CF) and TD Greystone Asset Management (TD Greystone) are pleased to announce major plans to revitalize one of Toronto's premiere shopping centres, CF Fairview Mall. An estimated $80-million will be dedicated to transforming 230,000 square feet (sf) of existing department store and other retail space to introduce exciting brands to the property; create a new row of restaurants; and improve pedestrian access to the property and the nearby Don Mills subway station. Construction is expected to begin this month with completion of the revitalization project slated for 2023."

Also, future phases may contemplate residential and office towers at the periphery of the site.

Link Here: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...ld-vision-for-cf-fairview-mall-895198203.html

Images from link below:

I imagine that they want to transition into being more of a lifestyle destination (like Yorkdale & the ultra-highend malls in the US)- I wonder if this is going where the old Sears was.

Didn't they just renovate the mall less than a decade ago?

10 years is infinity for a Regional Mall; especially with renovated Yorkdale is 10km west on 401 & renovated Scarborough Town Centre 7km east on 401.

I imagine that they want to transition into being more of a lifestyle destination (like Yorkdale & the ultra-highend malls in the US)- I wonder if this is going where the old Sears was.

This seems to be going mainly along the Sheppard frontage which currently looks like this,.... already have some restaurants but more to be added along western half with second storey or patio on top

Retail market tanked 2 years ago, with the Sears closing,.... Chapters-Indigo suppose to open on 2nd floor of Sears space soon. Currently lots of empty retail space inside mall, interesting they're rendering feature restaurants along outside to make mall look more like a welcoming destination full of activity.

No amount of renovations or construction will make this a destination. The mall is in an awkward spot and has low-level tenants. It was the place to be in the 90s when it had Eatons and Holts but those days are long gone.

I know of nobody that says we MUST go to Fairview Mall in the same way they say we MUST go to Yorkdale, The Eaton Centre or STC.

You can put lipstick on a pig but at the end of the day it is still a pig.

No amount of renovations or construction will make this a destination. The mall is in an awkward spot and has low-level tenants. It was the place to be in the 90s when it had Eatons and Holts but those days are long gone.

I know of nobody that says we MUST go to Fairview Mall in the same way they say we MUST go to Yorkdale, The Eaton Centre or STC.

It may not be a destination, but I do know people who choose Fairview because they do not like crowds at Yorkdale, and STC just doesn't appeal to them.

I don't recall Fairview ever having Holts. looking at Don Mills Center/Shops on Don Mills, redeveloping that mall did so much for the area. I go there more than I ever did before. Shops is for a higher end clientele though.

BTW, I avoid Yorkdale and EC like the plague. As someone else said, not all of us like the big jumbo mall fighting for parking and having to deal with crowds.

I don't know. I mean, I'm old enough to remember when the mall had a Simpsons, but for the longest time The Bay and Sears have been the major tenants.

On the subject of Sears, what is being done with that space? (or do we even know at this point?)

While it isn't my mall of choice (errr, I'm not really a mall person....but I digress).....

You're analysis seems a tad harsh.

It's at the intersection of two major roads, and adjacent to one major highway, near another, and on one subway line, and in the future, likely two.

That's not bad as locations go.

The mall is not Yorkdale or TEC to be sure.

But....it's about 200 stores, with a Hudson's Bay, (and formerly a SEARS).

Its owner, CF, has deep pockets, and the ability and track record to push a mall to succeed, they don't own 'B' properties.

Oxford has shown the same determination w/Yorkdale, Square 1 and STC to make the requisite investments to succeed.

Often enough, I might personally wish they'd tear a property down and start over...........

But the sales per square foot suggest they aren't out to lunch in their plans.

Fairview has a future.

A rather profitable one.

It will look different; as the future always does.........

On the subject of Sears, what is being done with that space? (or do we even know at this point?)

Second floor is supposed to be Chapters-Indigo,... they closed at BayviewVillage in Jan 2018 and promised this store likely open in Summer, then Fall,... now still waiting

In comparison, within 1km radius (easy 10 minute walking distance):
  • Yorkdale Mall has about 5 towers
  • Scarborough Town Centre has about 25 towers
  • Fairview Mall has about 60 towers,.... about 10 years ago basically all the nearby towers were apartment towers with low income tenants - but now all the new towers are condo towers,... more gentrification nearby, higher disposable income for nearby residents within walking distance,.... Fairview Mall owner probably picked up on that,....

Back