Vaughan Expo City: Expo 1,2, & Nord | ?m | 38s | Cortel Group | AJT Architects

Thornhill's filled with towers of various heights. But Thornhill's not really Vaughan...

Thornhill west of Yonge is VINO - Vaughan in name only. And the same could be said about Kleinberg. Maple, Concord and Woodbridge are the "real" Vaughan.

There are also those awful towers-in-the-park going in by Vaughan Mills, though.

These things are so ridiculous. All the exact same. How boring can you get? I hope it fails miserably, and the subway to Vaughan ends up worse than the Sheppard Line. I really do.

It makes no sense to have subway going to THIS, and not have subway going to Mississauga City Centre, where what they plan on doing with Vaughan already exists, or is already underway, and not just a dream like Vaughan is.

These things are so ridiculous. All the exact same. How boring can you get? I hope it fails miserably, and the subway to Vaughan ends up worse than the Sheppard Line. I really do.

Wow. And I bet you consider yourself a big transit advocate, too.

Oh, and Sheppard isn't a "failure" by any sensible measure.

Absolutely. And I've seen transit "advocates" claim with a straight face that Sheppard's ridership wouldn't go up at all if it were completed! If it ran from STC to North York Centre, it would be a very successful and well-used route that would inspire further development and dramatically reduce travel times and overcrowding in that part of the city. Of course, instead the city wants to build streetcars to farmland and require not one, but two transfers just to travel between Toronto's two main suburban growth centres.

I agree. A logical conclusion to Sheppard would result in a huge success. It is perplexing that it appears to have so fallen by the wayside.

Sacrificed at the altar of the streetcar. That, and a bunch of downtowners at City Hall just don't like the idea of Scarborough Centre (a big mall -- ew) so they refuse to serve it with better transit, even though it's by far the biggest development centre and destination in Scarborough.

I agree with you guys completely about the need to finish the Sheppard SUBWAY to Scarborough Centre, but that's throwing off this thread a wee bit no? (Well I guess I'm contributing to that now, eh?) But it is so very frustrating.

But if the Spadina line is to go somewhere, let's try and build something, anything, there.

Look, in Europe a development of that size would merit a subway and nobody would question it. Munich built two subways to a shopping centre, and one to a convention centre.

What really is Vaughan anyways? I bet even some locals wouldn't know Vaughan from Woodbridge, Concord, Thornhill, etc. ;)

And developers play on this. Thornhill is seen as desireable, so developers name subdivisions along the west side of Bathurst all the way up to Teston Rd. after it. Same for near Woodbridge. There's a subdivision going up at Teston Rd. and the 400 called Woodbridge Retreat, I believe.

What Vaughan needs is a major train derailment and a colorful mayor to forge an identity. Worked for Mississauga. :)

^^ I thought all it needed was the banal slogan "The City Above Toronto... the City of Vaughan." And if that didn't work, the backup plan was for a landmark UFO-inspired megaplex at the interchange of two 8-line highways.

Who knew that both stabs at greatness would fail. Next up, identical point towers. Will history repeat itself yet again? My crystal ball says yes.

It does remind me of NY towers, but a very blah reproduction. A concern I have is the developers request to remove a road connection to the planned ring road in the area. In my opinion the ring road could be the key to getting this area to work. The Hwy 7 area will never be pedestrian no matter what you name it (Ave 7?) but if the ring road and the connecting streets are built with a mind to good urban design. Maybe line some of the cross streets with some low to mid rise buildings, add some parks, and walkway/pathways etc. A bunch of 'condos in the park' won't work though. Either way I never thought I'd see this kind of development here for a long time, if ever. So I guess kudos for that. Maybe we will be seeing those parking lots disappearing soon.

You should see the proposed 19 story development at 7 and kipling. Now that's some bad architecture.

WRT to buildings over 2 stories. There are at least a handful in the 'downtown woodbridge' area that are between 6 and 10 stories tall. And the Solara development at Jane and Rutherford. Also the RBC building just west of this site.

Back