Vaughan Expo City: Expo 1,2, & Nord | ?m | 38s | Cortel Group | AJT Architects

Basically, if you want walkable streets in the suburbs, you have to go with the artificial downtown lifestyle centre (i.e. Easton Town Centre) model. The huge wide arterials that criss-cross the 905 aren't likely ever going to be transformed into strolling boulevards. I mean, it's possible, but it would probably take far more effort than municipal politicians and especially developers are willing to put in. I personally don't see anything wrong with creating a lifestyle centre up at VCC and connecting it to the subway. It's artificial, but it's still a lot more pedestrian-friendly than skywalk-connected towers around a mall.

It does look a lot like NY Towers and the Capital towers at MCC. So this is the third time they've used this particular style. But I don't think they look THAT bad. It is Vaughan after all.

Are there currently any buildings in Vaughan taller than 2 storeys? I'd be surprised if there is, so this development would be a huge step for them, gross though it is.

Are there currently any buildings in Vaughan taller than 2 storeys? I'd be surprised if there is, so this development would be a huge step for them, gross though it is.

The Times Group are in development of 5 condo buildings between 16 and 22 storeys (at least three built already) at Bathurst/Centre. There are also two 16 storey condos at Jane/Rutherford (my vote for the most ugliest, hideous, grotesque buildings built in the GTA over the last 5 years).

These will still stand out very easily.

Thornhill's filled with towers of various heights. But Thornhill's not really Vaughan...

But Thornhill's not really Vaughan

What really is Vaughan anyways? I bet even some locals wouldn't know Vaughan from Woodbridge, Concord, Thornhill, etc. ;)

ok, lets draw some boundaries then: east of Hwy 400, north of hwy 7, west of Bathurst (maybe Even Dufferin), South of Major Mac. Funny I just checked Google maps and they have Vaughan and Maple labelled at the same intersection! (Major Mac & Keele) Essentially its a giant industrial wasteland with some railway yards and a grotesque shopping mall.

Technically speaking there is no Vaughan - no historic village exists with that name. I do believe however that there has always been a Vaughan Township.

If you wanted to define the actual Vaughan neighbourhood, I would say that it's essentially the wasteland/landfill/rail yard that exists west of Thornhill, south of Maple, north of North York, and east of Woodbridge. It could loosely be defined by the box created by Dufferin, Highway 400, Steeles, and Rutherford Road.

The half of Thornhill controlled by Vaughan is actually quite urban by 905 standards. Ironically, the highest density of highrises that can be found anywhere north of Steeles is located in Vaughan's half of Thornhill. It seems like Vaughan's strategy has always been to dump all of its high rises in the small area between Bathurst and Yonge, leaving the rest of Vaughan as low density as possible.

Now I'm really confused. I've always understood there to be three distinct municipal entities, or "cities" in York region - Vaughan (the western third), Richmond Hill (the middle third), and Markham (the eastern third), and that formerly independent towns were swallowed up by them (Woodbridge and Maple being in Vaughan, Thornhill in Richmond Hill, and Concord and Unionville being in Markham).

Now I'm really confused. I've always understood there to be three distinct municipal entities, or "cities" in York region - Vaughan (the western third), Richmond Hill (the middle third), and Markham (the eastern third), and that formerly independent towns were swallowed up by them (Woodbridge and Maple being in Vaughan, Thornhill in Richmond Hill, and Concord and Unionville being in Markham).

A quick look at a map would cure your confusion. Thornhill is along Yonge and is split 50/50 by Vaughan and Markham. Richmond Hill is north of Thornhill. Concord is the middle of Vaughan, the area full of big box stores and industrial land (but next to no people other than whoever'll move into Vaughan City Centre) and it's west of Thornhill, east of Woodbridge, and south of Maple, all of which are in Vaughan.

If we want to stick within the 7/400 zone, there's a token 90s office block a block east of the interchange, N side 7...

Back