1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Toronto Expo 2025

coolcanadian

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nearly six years after a push for Expo 2015 fell apart, there’s a movement afoot for Toronto to consider bidding for the World’s Fair in 2025.

“It’s very early in exploration. The conversations are very casual. It’s information-gathering,†said Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam.

Wong-Tam (Ward 27, Toronto Centre-Rosedale) said she is speaking to business leaders and trade unions, among others, to see if there is an appetite to mount a bid for the international exposition that showcases technology, architecture and culture from around the world.

“So far the reaction has been very warm to enthusiastic,†she said.

In 2006, city council, lead by then-mayor David Miller, was firmly behind Toronto making a bid. The federal government pledged to contribute $600 million to cover infrastructure, security and other costs.

In 2006, a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers estimated the event would generate up to $600 million for the municipal sector, with $300 million of that going into city coffers, as well as $2 billion for the province and $2.7 billion for the federal government, Wong-Tam said.

Another study estimated the cost at about $2.8 billion, and that the event would generate about $13.5 billion in new GDP, create 215,000 jobs and $8.4 billion in wages and salaries.

Benefits to the city would include employment and a renewed waterfront.

The deadline to make a bid for Expo 2025 would be in 2016.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1181321--toronto-councillor-looks-into-bid-for-expo-2025

Here we go again. I hope I don't get my hopes up, just to have them crushed before things even get started but the truth is, I'd love to have a World's Fair. (even more than an Olympics)

Here we go again. I hope I don't get my hopes up, just to have them crushed before things even get started but the truth is, I'd love to have a World's Fair. (even more than an Olympics)

Don't think like that!! Just because last Olympics bid didn't go through does't mean this won't!! We have the Pan-Am Games coming, and they want to bid on the 2024 Olympics!! Imagine having the 2024 Olympics and the 2025 Expo!! That would be amazing! I would love an Expoe more than Olympics too!

Don't think like that!! Just because last Olympics bid didn't go through does't mean this won't!! We have the Pan-Am Games coming, and they want to bid on the 2024 Olympics!! Imagine having the 2024 Olympics and the 2025 Expo!! That would be amazing! I would love an Expoe more than Olympics too!

No, I was talking about our last attempt at a World's Fair that seemed to be a go but was just abandoned by politicians, at the last minute. An Expo might be a good way to get the Port Lands development speeded up. It might help us get a downtown relief subway too. (one can dream, right) It will be expensive but the remaining infrastructure and architecture might be worth it in the long run. Just don't let Paul Godfrey or the usual suspects, get anywhere near this.

I'd rather host the 2024 summer games, especially seeing how crazy and exciting it's getting here in London, but I would also love for the city to host the expo within my lifetime as well! Too bad we wouldn't be able to get a good Buckminster Fuller structure if we host..

The Olympics go by in a flash of 2 weeks and very few people are able to get tickets to what they want to see. That 2 weeks flies by and people are left wondering, was that it? It's all super hype and then a huge let down when it's over, for many people. It does give you the best advertising advantage for a city.

An Olympics is more of a media event, while a World's Fair is more to the benefit of the people. It lasts 4 to 6 months and everybody gets a chance to experience it. It's not nearly as exclusive or elitist as an Olympics. The Olympics leaves lots of great sports infrastructure but again, it's almost exclusively for privileged athletes. They are almost never geared towards the general public. I think a World's Fair would leave a lot more benefits for ordinary Torontonians. It would also be a lot more fun and bring in a lot more people from around the world.

Two weeks is just too short a span of time to really take it in and enjoy. (especially since it takes so long to plan, finance and build) And let's face it, the Olympics is bloody corrupt anyway.

It was the expo 67 that put Montreal on the map in the first place.

They built 3 lines of subway and a modern downtown from scratch. The benefits are undeniable

I don't know if this would be the case today. With the Internet, World Fairs have kind of become irrelevant. On the optimistic side, we'd have an opportunity to reinvent it to make it attractive to at least people from across North America, and aim for the rest of the world.

I have no doubt that the Ontario government would get behind building out infrastructure as they've shown a commitment to the PanAm games but we'd really need Federal kind of dollars to put on an Expo worthy of inviting the world to.

A DRL would need to factor in to this as would a redevelopment of the entire Exhibition Place and Ontario Place grounds (or the Portlands). In terms of infrastructure, I think a World Fair would leave a better legacy than an Olympic games while the latter would give Toronto an extraordinary boast in terms of profile, name recognition and tourism for years to come. I still pick a World Fair -- if done right.

Last edited:
I think a World Fair would leave a better legacy than an Olympic games while the latter would give Toronto an extraordinary boast in terms of profile, name recognition and tourism for years to come.

Not true!

The Olympic Committee loves to mislead people by saying an Olympics will be a huge boost to tourism for years to come but that's just not true. Almost every article I've read about Olympic cities states the opposite and tourism actually goes down. People are brain washed by misleading articles but few people read about what happens when the Olympic circus leaves town. Most people feel a big letdown and the benefits that were promised, usually don't materialize. There is ALWAYS a huge "unpredicted" debt left to pay off. The Olympic Committee is notorious for under estimating it's coasts. (I'd call it bald faced lying)
Read this article about Olympic tourism.

http://www.terracurve.com/2009/11/06/do-the-olympics-hurt-or-help-international-tourism/

However, according to a study by the European Tour Operators Association (ETOA), the Olympic Games actually have a negative impact on their host locale. Over the last 20 years, tourism has actually increased throughout the globe, except for travel to “Olympic cities,” where tourism growth tends to be stalled (especially when compared to competitor destinations).

For instance, during the past 6 summer games – Beijing 2008, Athens 2004, Sydney 2000, Atlanta (1996, Barcelona 1992, and Seoul 1988 – all six host cities experienced a major disruption to their normal tourism market and none revealed any conspicuous tourism growth.

And here is what happened in Sydney.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...o-count-the-cost/story-e6frg6nf-1225911090997

Speaking as Sydney prepares to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the Games, with gold medal winner Cathy Freeman relighting the cauldron on September 15 before thousands of Olympic volunteers, Mr Brown, the managing director of the Tourism and Transport Forum, said the past 10 years had been "a lost decade" for tourism in Sydney and Australia.

"We squandered an opportunity that was given to us by a lot of hard work and taxpayers' money to get the bid by not following through with the momentum," Mr Brown said.

Last edited:
Aren't the events at an Expo more concentrated? If so, i would take an Expo over an Olympics any day.

Well, so would an Olympic Games. The Toronto bid committee practically invented the concentrated Olympic venue and village plan.

Back