Toronto Etobicoke Civic Centre | 75.82m | 16s | CreateTO | Henning Larsen

Which of the four entries in the Etobicoke Civic Centre design competition do you favour?

• Team 1: Moriyama + Teshima, MJMA, FORREC

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Team 2: Diamond Schmitt Architects, Michael Van Valkenberg Associates

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Team 3: KPMB Architects, West 8

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • Team 4: Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, PMA Landscape Architects

Votes: 22 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My issue with the Henning Larsen proposal is that it looks too corporate: it looks less like a civic centre and more like private office buildings. Even "suburban office park" like. I realise that it is difficult to pinpoint what a "civic centre" should look like architecturally, but upon first glance, the Henning Larsen just struck me as a proposal for office buildings on Yonge Street in North York.

Last edited:
Henning Larsen proposal still tops it for me.

Building a place is more than just designing a well-thought out public space (which both proposals above seem to do). It is also about providing buildings that provide a density of uses and space. I'll take HLA's multi-structure building over MTA's single tower.

Is this designed to be office/commercial space? Because the HLA building should have significantly higher office sqft if so, which translates to more office workers, higher person density during the day, and overall more pedestrian and commerical activity in the area. That is the right catalyst and ingredients to make it and the surrounding area successful. (/two-cents.)

574325ed-6b74-4543-949e-24c1c6f37a00_zpsbbqeukyv.jpg

eaab070d-8e5d-40f2-b860-f2dcbeeb0d83_zpsz5gzgwhe.jpg

58554df1-5d93-43a7-beb9-abc3b4e3283b_zpsfu0dpru2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so the first competition entry article is now up, (sorry this is going slowly, we have a mountain of info to deal with), and the dataBase file has been published with the first dozen images of the Moriyama + Teshima/MJMA/Forrec design, and linked at the top of the page. Have fun!

First, full-disclosure, I'm on one of the design teams so I'm not going to pretend to be objective. I was at the public meeting, and Allen and Phillips spoke very eloquently about creating a healing landscape that promoted health and mental well-being. It's a laudable goal for sure, I'd want more trees and greenery too. And the office tower, though by far the tallest due to its small floor plate, has an interesting massing shaped by sun angles and strong sustainable principles in the "breathing room" atria and in zoning the facade for different purposes depending on the exposure (views, solar thermal, photovoltaics). Much better than the same curtain wall on all sides. But I feel the design doesn't address two major requirements of the competition brief: to provide a civic space for events and to animate the streets. The wedge-shaped building on Dundas West at the south side of the site is a library that may be built in a future phase, leaving in between it and the main building a linear space that's more of a pedestrian mall like Sparks Street in Ottawa than a gathering place. It also doesn't lead anywhere: under the current master plan it ends at a mid-block service road as seen in the model. The proposal does call for changes to the master plan to place a park to the east, as seen in the renderings, but even then the park is just a large open field. If you're prioritizing pedestrian connectivity, it'd be good to lay out some paths through the park to show where people can walk. And the pedestrian realm that comes with the site - the street edges along Bloor West, Kipling, and Dundas West, are not developed at all. It's hard to tell what it's like to approach the building, whether you can see inside, where you leave your bike, even where are the main entrances. One of my profs back in the day had a favourite line for crits: "Where's the front door?"

Is there any in-depth look at any of those proposals besides the one by Moriyama + Teshima with MJMA and Forrec yet? Looking at it at first glance makes me hate it because I don't like the look of that tower but looking at the renders of the interior makes the proposal look very suiting for a civic centre

Here's an aerial view of the current site:
https://twitter.com/alexbozikovic/status/857602076649693184

There seems to be something different about the MTA-MJMA-Forrec scheme.

If you take a look at the posts on MJMA's twitter account, it appears that their scheme doubles the park space by proposing to take over the adjacent parcel. Smart move, in my opinion. The tower makes room for more green space.
https://twitter.com/MJMArchitects/status/857613535513370625
https://twitter.com/MJMArchitects/status/857624061115027456

This is a different model than was shown in the Urban Toronto article. I wonder why this model wasn't shown or why Urban Toronto hasn't posted any site plans of the scheme.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTZUJIZAEpD/?taken-by=mjma.ca

Last edited:
Henning Larsen > Diamond Schmitt >>> Moriyama + Teshima > KPMB for me so far (knowing no details on Henning Larsen and KPMB).

The proposal does call for changes to the master plan to place a park to the east, as seen in the renderings, but even then the park is just a large open field.
I just wanted to show the one image of the master plan of the area that I've got so that everyone can better visualize this.

@WrightMinded is right: the Moriyama + Teshima/MJMA/Forrec design call for the development planned east of the Civic Centre (Block 4) to be swapped with the park planned for Block 2a. The three other entries stick with the park in Block 2a as per the City's plan.

IMG_1685 - Version 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1685 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_1685 - Version 2.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 581
The last of the entries, by Henning Larsen, Adamson Associates, and PMA Landscape Architects, is now up here, and the dataBase file, lined at the top of the page, has been added to with another dozen images.

We will be putting together a wrap-up article to bring it all together later today, then instituting a poll for you to vote in!

Okay, everything's done! All four entry overviews can be found on our front page, most easily accessed from our wrap-up article. As mentioned earlier, all of the renderings (more than you'll find in the articles), can be found in the dataBase file linked atop the page.

Now it's your turn to weigh-in by voting in the poll near the top of the page, and leave us remarks telling us why you like or don't like each entry! I'll weigh in on that shortly, myself.

Back