Mississauga Erin Square Condos | ?m | 21s | Pemberton

architecturally they are bland, if not bad, but the site-plan is probably the worst in the GTA in over a decade. Just insanely suburban and pedestrian-hostile.

I feel like the architecture is just very very average. Not necessarily bad but not necessarily good either.... but maybe leaning more so to bad.

It's like it wants to be there but have no relationship with the outside community.... unless something changes towards its completion, there is only one entrance or exit by foot or car... there might be a front gated entrance onto Eglinton but it's yet to be seen. Although it looks like there is a footpath leading forwards from the entrance so maybe there will be... It seems like the backside landscaping is set to be parking outlined by a small tree line and grass. It looks like it will be gated... meanwhile there is a sidewalk right there that it will make no attempt to connect to.

The front landscaping looks very bland too so I can't imagine people spending too much time there.

The outdoor pool on top of the middle portion looks like it will be nice.... for maybe half of the year.

Architecturally speaking, for both Erin Square and Mills Square, they're bland but inoffensive. The site plans are absolutely horrible though. The juxtaposition of these developments with the adjacent Daniels developent is like night and day. While Daniels Erin Mills isn't anything spectacular from a street-level interaction standpoint, it still does a decent enough job. It's amazing how Pemberton didn't even try to have any street-level interaction and just did everything like they had previously done Papillion Place.

When the lots surrounding EMTC start to get filled in too, I really hope we get more stuff like The Arc and less like the Pemberton developments.

Architecturally speaking, for both Erin Square and Mills Square, they're bland but inoffensive. The site plans are absolutely horrible though. The juxtaposition of these developments with the adjacent Daniels developent is like night and day. While Daniels Erin Mills isn't anything spectacular from a street-level interaction standpoint, it still does a decent enough job. It's amazing how Pemberton didn't even try to have any street-level interaction and just did everything like they had previously done Papillion Place.

When the lots surrounding EMTC start to get filled in too, I really hope we get more stuff like The Arc and less like the Pemberton developments.

Meant to reply to this earlier but got sidetracked.

I completely agree with what you're saying. I had no idea the Papillion Place was also done by Pemberton, but I guess it's not surprising. All of their projects in this area have been tower in the park designs. I can almost forgive Papillion Place for that, given it was built a long time ago now, but Mills Square and Erin Square? These were built so recently that they should have been more modern in its planning. There is no conversation with the street and the buildings. They are just there, connected but disconnected.

You're right, Daniels Erin Mills isn't spectacular, but it's done much better. At least on its grounds they have a central park for place making. All the Pemberton projects are very dull when it comes to outdoor amenities... at least Daniels Erin Mills has some commercial units on the Arc building and it's facing out towards Erin Mills... these latest Pemberton projects should have had some ground level commercial as well. The fact that they are modern buildings but not mixed use is baffling. I understand it is south of Eglinton and to its south it faces a subdivision of housing, but I think that is potentially a convenient excuse. They are attached to Eglinton and it would have been better if the grounds were at least inviting to the public with some ground level commercial.

All of Pemberton's projects in this area have been short sighted and their buildings dominate that stretch on Eglinton.

Further densification around EMTC is coming, and I agree. I hope it's more like the Arc. The Arc took a chance with its design, I genuinely appreciate it. But also just the mixed use factor. If the city wants to make EMTC a node for further densification as documents have suggested, to allow a developer to build tower in the park, non mixed use projects just seems stupid.

Meant to reply to this earlier but got sidetracked.

I completely agree with what you're saying. I had no idea the Papillion Place was also done by Pemberton, but I guess it's not surprising. All of their projects in this area have been tower in the park designs. I can almost forgive Papillion Place for that, given it was built a long time ago now, but Mills Square and Erin Square? These were built so recently that they should have been more modern in its planning. There is no conversation with the street and the buildings. They are just there, connected but disconnected.

You're right, Daniels Erin Mills isn't spectacular, but it's done much better. At least on its grounds they have a central park for place making. All the Pemberton projects are very dull when it comes to outdoor amenities... at least Daniels Erin Mills has some commercial units on the Arc building and it's facing out towards Erin Mills... these latest Pemberton projects should have had some ground level commercial as well. The fact that they are modern buildings but not mixed use is baffling. I understand it is south of Eglinton and to its south it faces a subdivision of housing, but I think that is potentially a convenient excuse. They are attached to Eglinton and it would have been better if the grounds were at least inviting to the public with some ground level commercial.

All of Pemberton's projects in this area have been short sighted and their buildings dominate that stretch on Eglinton.

Further densification around EMTC is coming, and I agree. I hope it's more like the Arc. The Arc took a chance with its design, I genuinely appreciate it. But also just the mixed use factor. If the city wants to make EMTC a node for further densification as documents have suggested, to allow a developer to build tower in the park, non mixed use projects just seems stupid.
I like to believe that what happened regarding the Erin Square and Mills Square developments was that they were planned and approved around the same time as Papillion Place, but they sat for a long time until Daniels Erin Mills started construction and Pemberton were trying to rush in to compete, therefore keeping the same previously approved zoning and site plans with modern towers instead of starting over with a more modern site plan.

I grew up in the area and I remember seeing the sales office and Pemberton signs on those plots of land when I was really young, so these had been in the works for a long time. I wish they could have at least brought the buildings closer to the sidewalk along Eglinton with some walk-up units like at the Daniels development.

Fortunately, it looks like the next phase of Daniels Erin Mills across the intersection will be okay at least, making good use of the land with the three towers. Hopefully it includes at least some ground floor commercial usage as well. I hope the big parcel of land at the west side of the Eglinton-Erin Mills intersection is next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniels, while not perfect, lives in the 2000s. For Pemberton, they're still building 88% of their projects like it's still 1988, only their few downtown projects relate directly to the surroundings.

Erin Square Condos construction has wrapped up and the buildings is 100% complete!
4ADF9752-B2C0-4AE4-9AAD-73B2258C95BC.jpeg

Back