Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

Well for some reason or another, Vero Moda never opened up here. Instead "Call it Spring" moved in beside Gap and Guess.

Also, I hear Bestbuy Mobile will also be coming near the food court and Dynamite is also expanding their location..

Well for some reason or another, Vero Moda never opened up here. Instead "Call it Spring" moved in beside Gap and Guess.

Also, I hear Bestbuy Mobile will also be coming near the food court and Dynamite is also expanding their location..

Their reno is supposed to start this year... Any news on that?

It may not be a matter of "downscale", so much as a subtle cultural paradigm shift--whether one likes it or not, malls are truly tied into the "Cold War White Middle" mythos. And it may be no mere coincidence that the decline of the mall coincided with the ethnoburbization of the 'burbs (or the end of the Cold War, for that matter).

The decline of the mall is due to the decline of the department store. That's all there is to it.

Malls have died everywhere, in ethnoburbs and non-ethnoburbs alike.

The decline of the mall is due to the decline of the department store. That's all there is to it.

Malls have died everywhere, in ethnoburbs and non-ethnoburbs alike.

If that's the case, then how come Yorkdale's expanding like crazy (and stores seem to like opening at Yorkdale before, say, Bloor)?

If that's the case, then how come Yorkdale's expanding like crazy (and stores seem to like opening at Yorkdale before, say, Bloor)?

I said malls have died everywhere, I didn't say all malls have died.

Power centres are everywhere now, every city, every small town. It has nothing to do with the lack of white people.

Erin Mills is hampered by a poor layout which makes it difficult for large-scale retailers to enter (look on the leasing plan, most of the stores are tiny). It's also hampered by Square One and Heartland, and to a lesser extent Oakville and Sherway.

I worked at Erin Mills for 5 years. You know what people who shop there like about the mall? That it's not busy. That is not what retailers want to hear when they locate somewhere...

Of course it's getting a Target - in the old Eaton's/Zellers space.

Promenade, built in the same era as EMTC, is similar - not too busy and a great place to Christmas shop. (Not that the local demographics hurt in that regard either.) It holds its own, like EMTC, but isn't attractive to new high-end retailers.

Of course it's getting a Target - in the old Eaton's/Zellers space.

Promenade, built in the same era as EMTC, is similar - not too busy and a great place to Christmas shop. (Not that the local demographics hurt in that regard either.) It holds its own, like EMTC, but isn't attractive to new high-end retailers.

The Erin Mills Zellers is still operating normally and a closure date has yet to be announced AFAIK. It was always known that Target acquired the location, but it wasn't known if they were going to keep it or not.

That's too bad about the Sony store. Although Square One lost its Sony store as well iirc

That's too bad about the Sony store. Although Square One lost its Sony store as well iirc

... And the Heartland one closed as well. I think the Bramalea one may have too?

The only Sony Store I've seen recently is in Sherway.

According to an email I received, the mall is still planning on doing the renovation/expansion.. and an announcement will be "forthcoming".

... And the Heartland one closed as well. I think the Bramalea one may have too?

The only Sony Store I've seen recently is in Sherway.

According to an email I received, the mall is still planning on doing the renovation/expansion.. and an announcement will be "forthcoming".

The Sony store at Eaton Centre was still there when I walked by a couple weeks ago.

Back