Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

Come to Mississsauga. We only have two Tim Hortons in the Erin Mills Town Centre vicinity, and only two at or near Square One, and only three at or near Heartland. How anyone could possibly call that oversaturated is beyond me :cool:
Huh? There are about 40 Tim Horton's in Mississauga, if you factor in drive thrus and gas station kiosks . There are 4 along Dixie Road, 5 or 6 along Dundas, way too many - yet line ups any time you go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=...local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB8QtgMwAA

Look at all those pink dots!

Got this from Erin Mills Town Centre today:

As of December 17th, 2010 Erin Mills Town Centre will be under new management and as such you will notice a few changes;

Their Website is down (for me) right now. Anyone know who Cadillac Fairview sold to?

I'm really shocked CadFair dumped Erin Mills, and kinda saddened. I guess they just couldn't get it to work for them.

On the positive side, they apparently developed the Yorkdale expansion in 2004-2005 http://20vic.com/dvpro_yorkdale.html :
Yorkdale Shopping Centre
Expansion 2004 - 2005
Yorkdale expansion with its unique suspended glass roof over the common area transformed the mall to a vibrant fashion street rather than a conventional shopping centre. The expansion mall consists of renovations to the existing Eatons store to create a 2 storey urban retail mall plus additional 60,713 of GFA single storey addition to the mall. The expansion budget was $61 million.

I'm really shocked CadFair dumped Erin Mills, and kinda saddened. I guess they just couldn't get it to work for them.

On the positive side, they apparently developed the Yorkdale expansion in 2004-2005 http://20vic.com/dvpro_yorkdale.html :
Yorkdale Shopping Centre
Expansion 2004 - 2005
Yorkdale expansion with its unique suspended glass roof over the common area transformed the mall to a vibrant fashion street rather than a conventional shopping centre. The expansion mall consists of renovations to the existing Eatons store to create a 2 storey urban retail mall plus additional 60,713 of GFA single storey addition to the mall. The expansion budget was $61 million.

So I sure hope 20 VIC invests in Erin Mills by renovating it, since Cadillac Fairview was too lazy to bother renovating (I don't count the replacement of the movie theatre and mini golf as "renovation" since the look of the mall didn't really change at all. It was built in 1990 so it's due for a renovation. Unless some of the Eaton Centre purists think Erin Mills should remain true to it's late 80s sensibilities.

Naw, it'd need more seasoning time to seal the deal. Besides, as far as GTA mallitecture goes, the true late 80s "Eaton Centre" preservworthy equivalent is Zeidler's big tent at Sherway...

Naw, it'd need more seasoning time to seal the deal. Besides, as far as GTA mallitecture goes, the true late 80s "Eaton Centre" preservworthy equivalent is Zeidler's big tent at Sherway...

Shocking that you don't care what happens to Erin Mills in a likely 20 VIC renovation.

Shocking that you don't care what happens to Erin Mills in a likely 20 VIC renovation.

I choose my battles judiciously. And when it comes to the bigger architectural/historical picture, Erin Mills just isn't as meaningful as the Eaton Centre, much less only two decades into its existence. (But its namesale planned community--verging on four decades into *its* existence--is already worth rallying for.)

Besides, your shock registers less as sincere than as sneering. I mean, hypothetically, I'm *open* to a rally on behalf of Erin Mills--esp. if the grassroots on behalf of such a rally is there--but from you, it seems more a means of ridiculing any such pointy-headed "hysterical" vanity...

Last edited:
I choose my battles judiciously. And when it comes to the bigger architectural/historical picture, Erin Mills just isn't as meaningful as the Eaton Centre, much less only two decades into its existence. (But its namesale planned community--verging on four decades into *its* existence--is already worth rallying for.)

Besides, your shock registers less as sincere than as sneering. I mean, hypothetically, I'm *open* to a rally on behalf of Erin Mills--esp. if the grassroots on behalf of such a rally is there--but from you, it seems more a means of ridiculing any such pointy-headed "hysterical" vanity...

Oh noes you saw right through me!

So I sure hope 20 VIC invests in Erin Mills by renovating it, since Cadillac Fairview was too lazy to bother renovating (I don't count the replacement of the movie theatre and mini golf as "renovation" since the look of the mall didn't really change at all. It was built in 1990 so it's due for a renovation. Unless some of the Eaton Centre purists think Erin Mills should remain true to it's late 80s sensibilities.

It's overdue for an update.

Keep the clock, but change any thing ya want outside.. The entrances are very dated, and show their age. As of course does the flooring and the poor interior lighting.

The stores are great, but (especially after sunset) the mall is dark and gloomy inside.

Honestly they can't do much with the poor layout of the mall.

I don't think they really need to do much for the layout.. As you said, it's design is what it is..

I would say half of the Erin Mills area is very afluent (all those million dollar homes across the mall), so just renovate the mall, but do so with high quality finishes. Make it as classy as you can, and the amount of visitors will quickly rise.

I don't think they really need to do much for the layout.. As you said, it's design is what it is..

I would say half of the Erin Mills area is very afluent (all those million dollar homes across the mall), so just renovate the mall, but do so with high quality finishes. Make it as classy as you can, and the amount of visitors will quickly rise.

I don't know if it's that easy. The area has always been wealthy, but those wealthy people are just going to drive to Yorkdale or Sherway instead.

I don't know if it's that easy. The area has always been wealthy, but those wealthy people are just going to drive to Yorkdale or Sherway instead.

Or Square One, for that matter.

Besides, I wouldn't say that affluence "defines" the area the way it does further south along Mississauga Road; indeed, what plagues Erin Mills is much like what plagued the Woodbine Centre and other end-of-the-mall-era malls: it was conceived in a Cold War North American, pre-ethnoburban frame of mind, right when ethnoburbanism etc started taking over and shifting the suburban-retail playing field...

indeed, what plagues Erin Mills is much like what plagued the Woodbine Centre and other end-of-the-mall-era malls: it was conceived in a Cold War North American, pre-ethnoburban frame of mind, right when ethnoburbanism etc started taking over and shifting the suburban-retail playing field...

Sorry, but do you mean that when Erin Mills Town Centre was made, they didn't realize that "colored" people would be the majority in the Erin Mills area? And the fact that "colored" people out number the "non-colored" people helps plauge the mall??

indeed, what plagues Erin Mills is much like what plagued the Woodbine Centre and other end-of-the-mall-era malls: it was conceived in a Cold War North American, pre-ethnoburban frame of mind, right when ethnoburbanism etc started taking over and shifting the suburban-retail playing field...
Sorry, but do you mean that when Erin Mills Town Centre was made, they didn't realize that "colored" people would be the majority in the Erin Mills area? And the fact that "colored" people out number the "non-colored" people helps plauge the mall??
Adma, you have mentioned something similar to this in other retail threads (i.e. Woodbine, etc.) and while you're somewhat correct (in that non-whites are not as affluent and a select % of their dollars will go toward 'ethnic' shopping centres), one cannot assume that malls will always go downscale when the non-white population in certain areas rise. 'Cause guess what? 90% of GTA's net population growth is non-white and if what you're saying is completely true, then all of the GTA will become like what you're saying (which is essentially ghetto).

and while you're somewhat correct (in that non-whites are not as affluent and a select % of their dollars will go toward 'ethnic' shopping centres),.

This only depends on the area you look in.. While Rexdale will have less well off people (of all colors), most people (again of all colors) in the Erin Mills area are well to do.. Every big house that's worth 800K plus down my street either has people of Arab, or East Asian decent.

And the same goes to the mall.. Just go to Old Navy when they have a big sale going on.. Who's in the lineup? Who is shopping for stuff at Bombay Company?

Back