Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

No company is going to confirm anything before they are ready to, and the planning notice may simply be using Cineplex in place of cinema complex: you never know for sure if the person doing the inputting is being literal or sloppy.

I am sure the head of landmark bill walker would be aware if anything was happening but he said on linkedin that despite their best efforts this theatre won’t be them

Official reply from bill walker ceo of landmark cinemas!

Is this theatre expected to open next year ? The councillor said theatre chain will be announced in September

Nobody has any idea when any of this is happening. Just be patient for the official announcement. If it's slated to be announced for September, then wait for September. Not many forum people here are insiders or experts, we're mostly just enthusiasts and like to speculate and theorize on stuff.

Councillor pat saito confirmed it is a cineplex but she also mentioned that it is a new concept so not sure what that means.

Councillor pat saito confirmed it is a cineplex but she also mentioned that it is a new concept so not sure what that means.

There are a lot of changes happening in the movie theatre business these days. My understanding is that big blockbusters aren't selling like they used to - people are simply going to the movies less. Cineplex is trying to move to a higher revenue per customer model, thus their VIP model.

People are going to the movies less, but when they do go, they want it to be an "event".. So Cineplex is shifting its profit model from getting as many butts in seats as possible to getting as much $$ from each butt as possible.

I imagine this new model is to have only a few regular theatres, with most being VIP.

There are a lot of changes happening in the movie theatre business these days. My understanding is that big blockbusters aren't selling like they used to - people are simply going to the movies less. Cineplex is trying to move to a higher revenue per customer model, thus their VIP model.

People are going to the movies less, but when they do go, they want it to be an "event".. So Cineplex is shifting its profit model from getting as many butts in seats as possible to getting as much $$ from each butt as possible.

I imagine this new model is to have only a few regular theatres, with most being VIP.
Looks like they are planning 12 theatres and I'd say the 6 in the lower level will all be VIP.

It might not be VIP.
The Cineplex auditoriums at Pickering Town Centre all have electric recliners and maybe only 30-40 seats per auditorium but are not classified as VIP as children are allowed in.

If you read the plans carefully there is some sort of lounge and patio on the upper floor and game shop/game area on the lower level of the build. I am guessing this is a mini-rec room concept.

AoD

Last edited:

Back