Erin Mills Expansion & Cineplex Junxion | 14.75m | 1s | OPB | MMC Architecture

Grand opening
DSCN2357_zps1946b371.jpg

DSCN2361_zps14b1ea7f.jpg

Major work getting started at Erin Mills centre court. They have moved all of the tenants in the court area I guess to start building that great Sphere that will replace the old tower. I hear its the only one of its kind in the world. Looking forward to these changes.

pw20:

I don't find it ugly per se - see it more as a piece of flourish that begs a big "what for". It's trying too hard to be something interesting (when the building itself isn't that interesting in the first place, even with the addition).

AoD

It think it was time for Erin Mills to catch up with the reality that the mall was old and tired just like the clock tower. Time to change and I think once the sphere is in place and lights are in it you will change your mind.

Sphere was designed I hear to capture similar iconic structures in Europe lets give it a chance. Change is Good!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still not very clear on whether there is going to be an expansion to this mall (in total square feet) or is it just a renovation? If it's being expanded, does anyone know the exact increase in space? If not, I wonder why as the Peel area continues to grow in population and there is sufficient demand within the catchment area to make this more along the lines of Bramalea City Centre (in terms of size and number of stores). Any thoughts? Cheers.

I am still not very clear on whether there is going to be an expansion to this mall (in total square feet) or is it just a renovation? If it's being expanded, does anyone know the exact increase in space? If not, I wonder why as the Peel area continues to grow in population and there is sufficient demand within the catchment area to make this more along the lines of Bramalea City Centre (in terms of size and number of stores). Any thoughts? Cheers.

I don't think anyone ever refers to "Peel" as an area. Proper usage would be "Peel Region" or "Region of Peel" or "Mississsauga and Brampton" (seeing as Mississauga seems to be eyeing secession again).

Anyway, it's not much of an expansion. The only thing being expanded is the food court. Apparently they surveyed the people who frequent the mall and overwhelmingly people said they wanted better stores above expanding the mall. Which I totally get--for what it is, EMTC is big enough. If they bring in big names and it brings in more people, yeah, sure, look at expanding. But it's not warranted when EMTC traffic and sales figures fall every year (especially with newer centres like Heartland and Halton Hills stealing away customers).

I don't think anyone ever refers to "Peel" as an area. Proper usage would be "Peel Region" or "Region of Peel" or "Mississsauga and Brampton" (seeing as Mississauga seems to be eyeing secession again).

Anyway, it's not much of an expansion. The only thing being expanded is the food court. Apparently they surveyed the people who frequent the mall and overwhelmingly people said they wanted better stores above expanding the mall. Which I totally get--for what it is, EMTC is big enough. If they bring in big names and it brings in more people, yeah, sure, look at expanding. But it's not warranted when EMTC traffic and sales figures fall every year (especially with newer centres like Heartland and Halton Hills stealing away customers).

According to Broccolini's site the expansion part is suppose to add on another 25,000 sq. ft., which is mostly to be used for the food court.

Even though expansion is small it will not only add a food court extension plus outside patio on the upper level but the lower level will contain more new restaurants. I think they are trying to bring the mall up to todays standards with better retailers before they attempt expansion or other pad sites. I asked insider I know and they did extensive research with customers who can or will come to Erin Mills and what they wanted to see. It makes sense as they have to extend market reach beyond the clientele that currently frequent the mall. The answer better retailers, fresh new look and not to turn it into another giant where its a hassle to shop like Bramalea ,Sq1 and now Sherway. I think Sherway has made a big mistake by going to almost the same size as SquareOne. Their clientele liked the size and atmosphere and I think the new size will be a turn off.
If these guys get it right maybe Erin Mills can eventually be the new Sherway but it will take time.

Back